Rectifier/charging issue twins?

tipitina

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Can rectifier failure on one engine effect both batteries? 1996 efi 250's and batteries aren't charging. From everything I've searched it appears to be rectifier on port engine. The tach is very jumpy and at times the voltmeter pegs to zero leading me to think its the rectifier. If it is, could it be draining both batteries? I ask because the port battery definitely drained too low to even turn over the motor. The starboard drained low also although not as low. My thought tells me since I was running both batteries (one for each motor each with Perko switch) on all that maybe the port was draining while the starboard wa working double time? Going to try and test this afternoon. Thoughts?

tipitina

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Rectifier twins?

Re: Rectifier twins?

Popped open the covers today and both belts were snapped! Guessing that's why they weren't charging as there was nothing connecting the motor to the alternators. Sound about right?

There was also a bolt that apparently popped out because it was stripped that was holding about 4-5 wires in a hole on the block. Going to get a longer bolt as it looks like there are plenty threads a little deeper in the bolt hole.

Try to post a pic in a few.