Recommended models of small WA boat?

agrazela

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looking for a fishing boat for San Diego Bay and maybe 5-10 mile runs into the Pacific off Southern California. If it was up to me, I would get a center console for fishability. If it was up to the wife, it would be a cuddy cabin for some “privacy” (if you know what I mean). After a few scouting trips to the launch ramp, we’ve settled on the idea of a walkaround.<br /><br />I need something that is relatively easily trailerable, and launchable solo. Also, it must accommodate 2 (sometimes 3) adults for fishing, and seat 2 adults and 2 (sometimes 3) children for bay cruising.<br /><br />I am thinking something in the 18 to 19 foot range, with a total rig weight (hull, motor, trailer) under about 3200 lbs. It must be outboard only; I do not have the facilities to deal with an I/O, and I will need the deck space. It need not necessarily be 4-stroke, as I am a saltwater boater.<br /><br />Budget would be something on the order of $10k to $15k, and I’m not looking for a fixer, so your Grady-White and Boston Whaler quality nameplates are likely out.<br /><br />I am familiar with the Bayliner Trophy 1802 WA OB and Seaswirl Striper 1851 WA OB models, and they seem to be pretty much of the size, style, and price point I seek.<br /><br />Aside from these two models, what other walkaround boats do you know of that have been manufactured in the last 5-10 years or so (older if it means higher quality for the price) that might meet my needs?

KCook

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Recommended models of small WA boat?

Since you are on the west coast I would expect it to be slim pickins for brands. Might toss Wellcraft on there. Though I don't really know that they built a WA that small in the past.<br /><br />Kelly Cook