Recommendations on fuel additives

rpatton

Petty Officer 1st Class
I recently bought a new to me 2013 Yamaha 90 hp 4 stroke. This is my first 4stroke outboard and I want it to last and be as trouble free as possible. What should I be putting it my gas with each fill up on these newer motors? I run this motor every weekend so it see plenty of fresh gas but everyone tells me something different.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
What additive does the manual say to use?

I got to assume they're still pushing Ring Free in every tank

robert graham

Admiral
A fuel stabilizer like Stabil all the time....more dosage for any extended motor lay-ups of several weeks or months....Ringfree is recommended by Yamaha but is most likely more important for 2 strokes than 4 strokes....Mine is a 1999 Yamaha 2 stroke and I've used the Ringfree and Stabil all these years and never a problem at all....If you don't have one, install a fuel/water seperater type filter on your transom....great preventive maintenance!

joe009

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i use ring free and star tron with every fill up.the ring free works i used to get a thin coating of carbon on my spark plugs,after using ring free the plugs are like new

gm280

Supreme Mariner
My favorite additive is nothing! I ran boats for years with nothing added ever to any engine. And I never ever had even one engine problem ever. But maybe I was just lucky getting engines that never needed any additive. :noidea:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
But maybe I was just lucky getting engines that never needed any additive. :noidea:
Or...... you where not running a fuel injected outboard ;).

Dirty injectors can be an issue.

rpatton

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks and sorry it took me so long to get back to you all. I know there is a bottle of the Yamaha ring free on board and other than that I really am not sure. Like I said it's my first injected 4 stroke .