Recharging

atticus3600s

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I want to be able to recharge batteries while running on the water and I was wondering what the easiest way to go about this would be. I think I would need to install an alternator, but Im not sure. The engine is a 84 Mercury 75 horse outboard hooke up to a 15 foot skeeter bass boat. Thanks for the help.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Recharging

Should already have one. If its not keeping the battery charged the charging system is not working, there are bad connections or cables, or the battery itself is dying. Have it load tested. If you have a voltmeter, put the engine at a fast idle and measure the voltage at the battery. If its 13 volts or so its working. If its 12.6 or less its not.

js361

Seaman
Re: Recharging

This is a problem I have faced as well. I like to use my trolling motor alot, which drains the batteries more than what the motor can charge it. so here is what I've done: got a GOOD onboard charger (you get what you pay for)it will maintain & deep charge a battery better than conventional chargers, giving the batteries longer life, 2) hooked up a Gorilla (Gander mountain & Cabelas sells these) on road charger...which charges your boat batteries from your vehicles alternator, on the road, that way you have a fresh charge soon as you hit the water. & finally I hooked up a solar panel charging system (I got my at a home improvement store). but the 1st step is to get decent batteries...I know some people swear by the Wal-Mart ones, but in mine & my friends experience the Trojans work best. I think this may be true because the cells are bigger. Anyways, take it or leave it, & good luck!