Rebulding 9.5 Evinrude,

ronbourd

Cadet
I bought an old Evinrude 9.5 model 9222m. Was not familiar at all with this kind of outboard engine model. One thing i notice is that the plastic pinion gear that engage with the ring gear on the flywheel do no go high enough to make a perfect mesh when you pull on the starter rope. The pinion gear could or should travel upward at least 1/8 of an inch more. Are they all built like that? Can something be done to upgrade or modify this starter so that the teeth of the pinion gear mesh better with the one of the flywheel...seems like the flywheel is too high! thank you very much for all your advices! hope going fishing soon on the Gasp? coast! Ronald.

tpenfield

Staff member
There is a slot in the pinion gear that causes it to move upward when the starter rope is pulled. Does the slot look worn? Perhaps the pinion gear teeth are worn . . .

A new pinion gear is $36.40 here on iBoats.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
As I remember it, they are all like that. Not to worry.

ronbourd

Cadet
F_R as you say, may be ,there all like that, Tpenfield, no the slot are not worn, but the pinions gear do not travel far enough upward. thanks for your answers. Ronald.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
I guess if you really want it to mesh "up" more you could try to fill in the bottom of the slot with JBweld plastic weld or something similar

that way the gear will spin upwards a bit more to join the flywheel gears

but..... you did not indicate if your starter gear works properly or not...regardless of gear contact area

racerone

Supreme Mariner
?-----The motor is 45 years old and now it appears there is a design flaw in it.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
just like the Titanic ...brittle steel caused the sinking not a stupid captain... warned of icebergs.. yet racing his coffin to beat travel times to impress the world....

he did :facepalm:

ronbourd

Cadet
No Title

Here is how I finally got the pinion gear to fully engage. What I did was to machine the slots so that the pinion travel further upwards.

Hope this can help someone!

Ronald

Attachments

• photo263325.png
    photo263325.png
    632.2 KB · Views: 1
  • photo263326.png
    photo263326.png
    673.8 KB · Views: 1

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for the update with photos.

I'm not so sure that the pinion engagement was actually a "problem" on your motor. Hey, if it works, that is to say that the starter engages & disengages and has no clearance issues then you are good. It is probably more of an academic exercise.
I did look at my clean 67 Johnson 9.5 and the pinion doesn't fully engage deeply. My motor hasn't been messed with and I bought it from the original elderly owner. My late dad also had a 1965 Johnson 9.5 since new but I can't refer back to it now since the motor was given to one of dad's friends. I haven't seen it in more than 10 years. It wouldn't surprise me if the pinion was only meshing halfway deep into the flywheel.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I see it looks like you filed out the helix slots to allow more up travel. But in doing so is it now going to hit the top area of the flywheel and chew up the top of the plastic starter teeth? :noidea:

Could have swapped one problem for another. :facepalm: