Rebuilt Johnson 115hp troubles - missing and tilt/trim

quadridermx

Cadet
Been trying to read up to find the answers, but haven't really been able to. I would really appreciate any help you can give, thanks in advance!<br /><br />Motor is a 1978 Johnson 115hp with power tilt/trim<br /><br />1) I just rebuilt this motor with new pistons/rings/bearings. Previously when I got it, the rings were junk. Cylinders were still good so I did a quick hone job and put new components in.<br /><br />Took it out after breakin and I'm having problems once it is in gear. In neutral it idles great and has no problems. However once I put it into gear (under load), it will stay idling for a little while and then gradually stall if I don't raise the RPM's or put it back into neutral. To get it started again, I have to choke the motor. Once it's started, it will stall if the choke is left on. All this is after the motor is fully warmed up.<br /><br />The motor will run at low-mid RPM's and stay running, but starts misfiring. On one occasion when I was able to get it up on plane, after about a minute of running at higher RPM's on plane the engine just clean shut off. Didn't lock up, didn't make any horrible seizing noises, and started right back up again.<br /><br />Plugs looked fairly dirty with powdery carbon build up (I'd assume from rebuild debris), but they were dry and a medium tan. I'll replace the plugs and put fresh gas in (current gas is a couple months old). But is there anything else I can check? This motor seemed to run better on 3 cylinders when the rings were trashed than it does now.<br /><br /><br />2) Power tilt/trim troubles... Was working perfectly, then just stopped. Now all I get is a clicking noise in the fuse box. The unit is inside the mounting brackets and has 2 pumps and a center lift to lower and raise the motor. I am very unfamiliar with this system other than playing around with a couple big flathead screws and shooting myself in the arm with hydraulic fluid when I raised the motor manually. Fuse is not blown, grounds are good. It just all of a sudden stopped working. Do I need new relays (I assume that's what the black boxes that plug into the harness are?)<br /><br />Again, any help is very much appreciated! I'm 18 and this is the first boat I've owned... it'd be great to get it on the water soon.

quadridermx

Cadet
Re: Rebuilt Johnson 115hp troubles - missing and tilt/trim

One last thing...<br /><br />I'm not sure I hooked up the electric choke correctly. I never disconnected it from the carburetors during the rebuild... but where exactly is it supposed to be grounded?<br /><br />At any rate, the electric choke is not working at the key switch when I push the key in. I have to manually turn the red knob to get the motor to choke.<br /><br />How exactly does that unit work?

i have that same problem on my 1977 115 horse.<br />i even rebuilt the carbs with fresh new gaskets and floats and i had a stopped up mid jet.<br />but<br />mine runs great on a flush BUT, i take it to the lake it seems to not idle, and when it does idle i have to get it in gear and up to speed or it shuts off. then i have to choke mine as well.<br />i will be watching this thread VERY closely

quadridermx

Cadet

My fault! This motor is a 1983, not a 1978... <br /><br />I'm getting juice to the tilt/trim motor... but the motor's not even making any sounds. Do these electric motors just all of a sudden die like that?