rebuilding ski boat

dcpcccrc

Seaman
could anyone help me, i came across a 20 foot sunbird for real cheap that needs new engine block and interior i am in this cheap enough that i am going to build the interior as i have on other boats in the past, although i have never built a sunpad over the motor before. I would like to know ideas on what to make this out of and how to support it for everyday use of walking on it to get on and off the boat should i use plywood or what. I usually use the old junky material and copy it to specs but i dont want a doghouse with two seats i want a sunpad with a row of seats and two captains chairs rather than the traditional fold out boat seat. i could build a great boat if i can just figure out what to use to make and support the sunpad. The rest of the boat will come pretty easy to me but with this i dont want to have to redo it because it wasn't strong enough to hold someone sitting on it. thanks in advance for the help

gdburch

Cadet
Re: rebuilding ski boat

Cool idea. I've thought about doing what your doing. You could grab a camera, tape measure, and note pad and check out a few boats with a sun pad.

CZSteve

Seaman

Have a similar settup, a '77 Sea Ray 197 w/ the deluxe interior. IE: engine cover/sundeck, full bench, 2 captains chairs.<br /><br />Mine had been re-done some time ago, but is still in pretty good shape.<br />The problem is that the cover/deck and the seat-back of the bench were built as one piece. The entire assembly was made out of plywood and wood cross pieces for support. It is not and hinged and must be lifted/tilted and is VERY HEAVY. <br />Not at all practical to access the motor while under way.<br /><br />I'm going to separate the bench seat back from the cover/deck and am having a frame made from 1.5" 3/8" wall square-tube alluminum for the frame-support structure of the cover/deck (approx 78"x36"). Will then sheath it w/ 3/4" ply along w/ new thinner-firmer foam and use the existing vinyl.<br />Will attach aft portion w/ hinges and be able to provide access while under way. Should be able to shed some 125lbs +/- from the liftable portion.<br /><br /><br />I figure in a 3-4-5 years will probably do a complete renovation of the interior. :rolleyes: <br /><br />Take Care,<br />Steve

dcpcccrc

Seaman

Thanks guys. I just found out there is some material that people are using to get rid of the heavy wood floors in their boat. Does any body know what this is called. Maybe I could use that for a sun pad.<br />Thanks again,<br />Dan

D

DJ

I believe it called "divinecel", or similar. It's a honeycomb synthetic product made to to take the place of wood. Many high buck boat builders use it today.<br /><br />Try a Google search.