Rebuild underway...

Plainsman

Rear Admiral
Re: Rebuild underway...

You've done a lot of work and it's looking nice. Keep updating the pics.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Cool! I see you made a dash and deck cutout. Did you see the project by your fellow countryman Tengals123? (I think thats who it was). He did the complete make over job and had it published in an Aussie magazine. Very impressive job. If you havent seen his work, you should do a search for it on this forum.

One thing I find interesting is how deep the bilge area is under the floor. Lots of room to place gas tank, additional storage, etc. Do you know why the boat was designed like that or is it common to Australian boat building?

Don't forget to supply proper venting of the permanent tank(s) you install in place of that portable. And only use Marine grade Fuel Line, not the stuff you can buy at the auto store. Marine grade fuel line has a highly fire resistant outer casing and can take much more scuffing, abrasion and vibration than auto fuel line. Interesting how it is set into the floor too.

Keep the pictures and descriptions coming!

spargs

Seaman Apprentice

Yeh mate, i am constantly speaking to grant (Tengals123) on an aussie site. In fact he is the inspiration behind the project!!

I was going to roll and tip, like he did, but in the end am going to get it sprayed in 2K. Probably just Auto paint as its going to be a trailer boat.

cheers

Nick

spargs

Seaman Apprentice

Ok another update, not much has happened since...

The front bow storage section is in. This will either be a nice kill tank or esky for cruising. The sides need a couple of good coats of poly resin and some glassing to seal it all up.

4548.jpg

Below is the new sub floor layout ready for the plywood flooring to be installed. Starting to really get into the project now...

4549.jpg

________

Now for a question!

The spray painting idea has fallen through, it was going to cost be $650 for labour and I just couldn't justify this with the additional cost of paint.

I am thinking i will now just roll and tip International Perfection. I think i may have to perform both the roll and tip steps myself as a single painter, Has anyone done this before? And how will the result turn out?

Cheers

Nick

crunch

Commander

Hi Nick,

Looks like you know what you are doing, and doing it well... just one question. Why didn't you have the kill box in the back and the fuel up front?

I'm doing pretty much the same to my boat, it's a 1976 Larson 15' Shark. It has a1978 Merc 80 HP (weighs 251lbs), an 18 Gal fuel tank (full about 115 lbs.) right in the back, a 30 lb. batt on starboard side and a 40 lb. trolling 6 hp 'rude also on the Starboard side. I've never had it in the water but I'll bet it's ass heavy and lists to starboard. It has a Whaletail on it to compensate, at least that is my thinking.

The Shark is a tri-hull bowrider and like your boat has a deep bilge, although narrow. I looked all over Iboats for a tank but none of them fit, then did a google search and found a company in Philly that does custom tanks (negotiations are pending)

What I'm thinking is move all of that weight of fuel forward, swap sides with the Batt. to balance trolling motor and maybe do a center consol thing with it.

I worked commercial Salmon boats for a number of years and they all had the kill box in the rear, and after all, that's where you're going to fight the fish.

<a href="http://forums.iboats.com/bbBoard.cgi?a=viewthread;fid=26;gtid=1146872"> currant thread</a>

<a href="http://www.shareaproject.com/projectThumbs.php?p=276"> my share project</a>

Just my 2 cents worth 8)

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Just a thought -

Has anyone tried an airless sprayer to paint rather than use the roll and tip method?

spargs

Seaman Apprentice

Mark the problem with spraying 2k is the health issue and not the equipment. The isocyanites (is that right) in the 2k are fine when they are in a liquid form (like the rolling and tipping) but when turn into a vapour (when spraying) are terrible for you.

In Aus, its illegal to spray unless you are in a booth and breathing by an external source oxygen respirator. Also my ability to achieve a decent spray finish would be hopeless with my level of skill.

Cheers

Nick

spargs

Seaman Apprentice

Well another update after a weekends worth of work...

The kill tank drainage has been installed.

4603.jpg

Currently the pvc does not run the full length of the boat as i am still unsure of how i will extract the water from the boat.

Option 1) add PVC the length of the boat just short of the transom and let water drain out current bung. The kill tank bung would not be unscrewed untill the transom bung had been but still some of the smelly water would remain in the hull.

Option 2) install another bung (would make 5 bungs in total on the transom!!) and run the PVC to the transom. This would been that none of the smelly fishy water would come into contact with the hull.

WHat are your thoughts?

4609.jpg

The floor has been fully bonded. This seems like a really breakthrough because I have now practically finished the floor rebuild (just needs to be sheathed in glass and some of the gaps filled). However, it is now dawning on me that I have about 40-50 hours of sanding approaching me!!

Go to http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/projectTut,p,262,00.html for all updated photos.

Nick

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

nick what are the other bungs for? could you incorporate two of them together?

spargs

Seaman Apprentice

there are four bungs in total.

there are 2 for the 2 outside subfloor cavities.

1 for the bilge

and 1 located central at the lowest point of the transom for the centre subfloor cavity.

I could possible just install a bigger bung (centre subfloor cavity) than the PVC and route the pipe to just short of it. Therefore water can drain out the bung and 95% of the kill tank water will go straight out the bung...