Rebuild these seats or replace with pontoon furniture?

ksubigbuck

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I picked up this 1996 Princecraft 191 for cheap because the previous owner didn't cover it for 2 years and the bench seat is trashed. I have gotten estimates to rebuild the bench seat from $1,800 up to $3,000. I'm wondering if I would be better off modifying the bases on some pontoon furniture where the bases and frame are "notched" along the port gunnel.

Price for the pontoon furniture is about $800 for:

Two of these:
http://www.iboats.com/Wise-Deluxe-P...3961292--session_id.872011992--view_id.482102

and one of these:
http://www.iboats.com/Deluxe-Pontoo...3961292--session_id.872011992--view_id.482109

I'm trying to post pictures of my boat so you can see what I'm talking about, but it's telling my the picture is too big, ugh.

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yeah, Those seats are Trashed. I've done quite a bit of Upholstery work in the past 5 years and to redo those seats you'd have to replace ALL the foam with new foam and then shape it to the proper proportions and then make any repairs to the frames and then cover them. $1,800 - $3,000 is right in line with what I'd quote too. Modifying the New Pontoon seats could be a very good solution. Check dimensions and it's no problem to cut the bases lower.

ksubigbuck

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks Woodonglass. I just wasn't sure if the bases would lose structural rigidity if I started hacking away at them.

ksubigbuck

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Upon further review I think I'm just going to pay someone to do this work...modifying new bases seems like a pain in the neck.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Are your present seats the same height as the new ones you are looking at? From the pics it seems like your present seats are low but with a tall back. The new ones are higher with a shorter back. But, the old ones and new ones may be the same overall height and fit right in with no modifications.

ksubigbuck

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Are your present seats the same height as the new ones you are looking at? From the pics it seems like your present seats are low but with a tall back. The new ones are higher with a shorter back. But, the old ones and new ones may be the same overall height and fit right in with no modifications.

They are the same overall height, but the height of the bases are about an inch shorter than the height of the new bases.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Personally, one inch shorter would not bother me at all. I would just put the new ones in and save myself the trouble of rebuilding the bases.