Rebuild or replace pt2 - carburetor

Magnus Wallner

Seaman Apprentice
Pulled the carb for a good clean today. I think it's a Rochester Quadrajet, numbers are 32747, and judging by the paint on the bolts it's been on the engine and untouched since 1992.
I was thinking of getting a rebuild kit and give the carb some ultrasonic cleaning but perhaps a better route is to swap it out for a better carb (but keep the intake). So my questions are: rebuild and if so, what kit, or replace and if so with what and what would any potential gains be (gains as in hp or mileage)?

bild-2.JPG

bild-7.JPG

bild-9.JPG

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Rebuild or replace pt2 - carburetor

If it still works, no reason to replace it. Depends a lot on what it looks like inside. If the insides are all corroded, replace it, but if just a little dirty, clean and run it.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

I always rebuild them.I know some say a different brand of carb will improve performance, but the motor was designed with that carb in mind. I've seen to many trying to improve thing's by swapping them out and make it worse. Funny how they have to tinker so much,mine alway's runs....?
Grub

Magnus Wallner

Seaman Apprentice

Kinda what I suspected.

I'll tear into it tomorrow. Is it a generic Quadrajet rebiuld kit I'm looking for or are they version or marine specific?

Thanks!

Don S

There is no such thing as a "generic" quadra jet. Get the carb number off the side of the carb (not the one on the secondary plate you show in your picture). It should be about 8 numbers long starting with 170 the first 3 numbers.

Magnus Wallner

Seaman Apprentice

Hmm, I can't find any numbers. I have a GM mark, some kind of date tag (circular) and a Rochester Quadrajet label. Other than those I can't find any numbers. Perhaps it.s hidden under the paint, where should I look?

Don S

Should be right next to the date code. Yes, the paint is covering them, they are stamped in, not cast in, and Merc puts some heavy paint over them.

Magnus Wallner

Seaman Apprentice

I was an idiot. It wasn't a date code, it was the number: 17060303 if I read it correctly.