Rebuild Chevy 350 Questions 89 Four Winns Sundowner 205

NeedaBiggerBoat

Seaman Apprentice
I am rebuilding my OMC 350 due to spun rod bearings and was wondering a few things.
I have no idea what was done to this engine other than it has 202 heads and roller tip rockers.

Are there special marine bearing I should be looking for? I know there are special gaskets.

I am a bit leery on just putting new cranks and bearings in it because I'm not sure why they spun. I put 20 hours on the engine and the previous owner said he put 6 on it, i cant really go by what other people tell me especially when they are the ones selling.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Rebuild Chevy 350 Questions 89 Four Winns Sundowner 205

I am rebuilding my OMC 350 due to spun rod bearings and was wondering a few things.
I have no idea what was done to this engine other than it has 202 heads and roller tip rockers.

Are there special marine bearing I should be looking for? I know there are special gaskets.

I am a bit leery on just putting new cranks and bearings in it because I'm not sure why they spun. I put 20 hours on the engine and the previous owner said he put 6 on it, i cant really go by what other people tell me especially when they are the ones selling.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... I'd think you could buy a reman short block, 'n get yer heads rebuilt for 'bout the same money...

A pickup truck short block will work, just pop in brass core plugs...