Realtors - My bad luck or unacceptable behavior?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Realtors - My bad luck or unacceptable behavior?

Sorry I do not agree with the above about attorneys. Go to your state licensing boards website and see who the majority of people holding a real estate license is losing them for inappropriate action, attorneys. In Mass. an attorney automatically gets a real estate license.

You difinitly should hire an attorney to protect your interest and to follow up your Purchase & Sales Agreement and any riders to the agreement.

In Mass. you can sell or purchase a home without a Realtor too.

An attorney in our state, that loses his real estate license, is likely to lose out with the bar as well, and face a suspension of their law license.
(I could give you a couple names if you want verification)

I did not say to buy from an attorney, but to use your lawyer to represent you in the deal, and that in many jurisdictions you do not need a "Realtor" to strike a deal. You certainly don't need one to represent you (the buyer), but could hire a sellers agent to find properties for you.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Maybe I have good instincts, but I have sold every house myself. Newspaper ad written by me, photos by me. Invariably got more than a Realtor said to ask and attorney fees were far less than the 7% the realtor wanted.

I say FSBO is the way to go.

Totally agree, if...
You are competent and knowledgeable to do so, have the time and are able to give it the effort needed.

JB, you pass the test. ( my sister doesn't LOL :) )

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Sold a house awhile back, and my contract with the broker was at
4 1/2% they were trying to get me to go to 6 1/2%
The sales people were lackadaisical about working to get my house sold.

The contract was about up, so I copied the MLS listing number, and made up a flyer that stated that I was offering a $500 finders reward if a sales person could find a buyer and get the house sold. I then visited several Real estate businesses and pinned it to their bulletin boards.

The house sold 2 days later:D

Good for you, way to be creative.
When it comes to crunch time, give them some $numbers to crunch.

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

This is not true.
By law, the listing agent, and their supervising broker, do have a fiduciary arrangement with the seller, and MUST act in the sellers best interest.

Their job is to sell the property, bring it to a close, and get the maximum monies for the client.

BINGO! Right on the money.

I had a brokers license for 20 years. Your agent is incompetent and could care less about you and your house. Talk to the broker-not your agent. Never talk to the agent again. Either get some consideration from the broker(and by that I mean a reduction in commission. Remember in real estate, EVERYTHING in negotiable) or have him release the listing so you can have another firm market the house for you.

What ever you do, GET IT IN WRITING!!!!!!
There is an old saying in real estate, "A verbal agreement is worth the paper it is written on".

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

as a retired Realtor, in Florida, all real estate salesmen, work for the seller, whether listing agent or not. the seller is paying the commission.

also out of the many licensed salesmen, 10% of the salesmen, make 90% of the money. it is an art to being a real estate salesperson.

if you use a national franchise, (Century 21 for example) these people are given extensive training, before, let out on the street.

the local mom and pop broker cannot afford to give this type training.

there are agents out there that have 20 years in the business, but they have 1 year experience 20 times. they do not further there education in the field.

Fly Rod

Commander

Remember, we all come from different states rules vary.

All Realtor's do not represent the seller, that is the old rule of thumb. As of 2005 Buyer's have the right to buyer representation in most states. Massachusetts in 2005 became the 37th state to recognize Buyer Representation. Once a buyer signs a buyer agreement with a Realtor that Realtor owes due diligents and fiduciary responsibility to the buyer.

TYPES OF AGENCY REPRESENTATION

SELLER?S AGENT
A seller can engage the services of a real estate agent to sell his property (called the listing agent) and the real estate agent is
then the agent for the seller who becomes the agent?s client. This means that the real estate agent represents the seller. The
agent owes the seller undivided loyalty, reasonable care, disclosure, obedience to lawful instruction, confidentiality and
accountability provided, however, that the agent must disclose known material defects in the real estate. The agent must put
the seller?s interests first and negotiate for the best price and terms for their client, the seller (The seller may authorize subagents
to represent him/her in marketing its property to buyers; however, the seller should be aware that wrongful action by
the real estate agent or sub-agents may subject the seller to legal liability for those wrongful actions).

BUYER?S AGENT
A buyer can engage the services of a real estate agent to purchase property and the real estate agent is then the agent for the
buyer who becomes the agent?s client. This means that the real estate agent represents the buyer. The agent owes the buyer
undivided loyalty, reasonable care, disclosure, obedience to lawful instruction, confidentiality and accountability, provided,
however, that the agent must disclose known material defects in the real estate. The agent must put the buyer?s interests first
and negotiate for the best price and terms for their client, the buyer.

DUAL AGENT
A real estate agent may act as a dual agent representing both the seller and buyer in a transaction, but only with the express
and informed consent of both the seller and the buyer. Written consent to dual agency must be obtained by the real estate
agent prior to the execution of an offer to purchase a specific property. A dual agent shall be neutral with regard to any
conflicting interest of the seller and buyer. Consequently, a dual agent cannot satisfy fully the duties of loyalty, full
disclosure, obedience to lawful instructions which is required of an exclusive seller or buyer agent. A dual agent does,
however, still owe a duty of confidentiality of material information and accounting for funds. The written consent for dual
agency must contain the information provided for in the regulations of the Massachusetts Board of Registration of Real
Estate Brokers and Salespeople (Board). A sample dual agency consent is available at the Board?s website at
www.mass.gov/dpl/re.