Seaman Apprentice
Boat: Champion 186 Coastal
Weight: 1900lbs boat, 415lbs motor, 800lbs people and gear 2405 total
Fuel Tank: 32 gal
Motor: 2007 Evinrude E-tec 150 WOT Range 4850-5850
Current prop: Raker II 14.5x22 Stainless Steel
WOT: 4500 RPM
Top Speed: 47 MPH (GPS)

I currently use the boat to fish and ski. I would like to prop it more for skiing since that seems to be much more demanding on the boat than fishing. I am not a full speed guy(well I am, my wife is not, so I guess I am not)

This boat is new to me and we've had it out about 8 times this past week. I am concerned about the 4500 RPM at Wide Open Throttle. The boat doesn't seem to jump up on plane like i feel it should. I have only gone WOT two or three times to see if was in the correct RPM range, and finding out I wasn't is worrying. The motor/boat only had 66 hours on them when I purchased it. Probably closer to 80-85 now.

I have tried to provide all of the information that I currently know. I don't know where to go from here. It seems to get the boat into the proper WOT RPM I would need to go up almost 1000 RPM which is in turn almost 6 degrees of pitch. Which seems like a huge change.

Let me know what you guys think!

Thanks!

usskydvr

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Re-propping my Champion

Go for the SST in a 19 pitch.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

By the seat if my pants,As you have seen your rpm seems lower than expected.
Your antivent plate should be visable at speed.Usually ends up about an inch above the bottom of the boat.As suggested a 19 would be closer to the size expected.

nbaffaro

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the advice guys. I called the dealer that I bought the boat from and they seem to think the same thing. Wish I could have caught this before I got it. Now I just have to explain to my wife why we need a new prop on a boat that we just bought. That is a tougher sale that you would think.

Me: "The wide open throttle is only at 4500 it needs to be at 4850 to 5850"
Her: "Why?"
Me: "Well that is where the boat performs the best, if it isn't reaching that RPM it isn't the right prop."
Her: "We don't run wide open"
Me: "I know, but it affects it overall."
Her: "We aren't getting a new prop on a boat we just bought."
Me: "..."

FML