Re: Nav light not working?

stevemad

Cadet

I have the same problem on my new purchased 1994 Larson with outboard motor. The previous owner disconnected some of the lights. I can shoot power to the wiring with a power probe and the lights operate just fine, however when hooked up to the switch, they do not turn on. I noticed that without the light wiring hooked up to the switch, and just the power source hooked up....the switch will supply power in both nav and anchor positions. When the wires (light sources) are hooked up the witch will supply a ground signal, therefore not turning on the lights....I have purchased and installed a new switch and get the same results. The sitch wiring seems pretty simple...middle prong=12 volts source and the the two outside prongs for the nav and anchor lights with diode in the middle. What else could it be?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I moved your thread from the end of someone elses thread to your own thread. Always best to start your own thread when you have a problem.

NYBo

Admiral

Welcome to iboats!:welcome:

Here is what the wiring should look like, courtesy of Silvertip:
Nav-AnchorSwitch.jpg

If you've got this right and the lights still work. the problem has to be on the supply side. Where you tapping in for + and -?

stevemad

Cadet

Thanks.. the info on the forum is great...The power is coming from the fuse block to the switch.

Last edited:

NYBo

Admiral

Your test may show you are getting power to the switch but if the connections are corroded or loose (including in the fuse holder itself), the connection has more resistance than the bulbs, so the bulbs won't light.

stevemad

Cadet

Ok..... I ditched the test light and went back to the basics...using a voltmeter I found that I had a little over 10 volts at the main input at the fuse block which was not good where my battery read 12.6 volts. So I checked to see what happens to my voltage when I flipped the switches...voltage would drop to zero. I used a power probe and shot 12 volts to the block and the lights worked correctly. When I traced the power wire all the way back I found that it was hooked to the ground side of the fuel tank sending unit. This was dangerous because the fuel tank body itself read 12 volts?? Someone obviously had no clue what they were doing. I rewired it correctly and everything works now! Ready for the lake this weekend! Thanks for all your help.

NYBo

Admiral

Well, that's strange for sure. Glad you figured it out!

It happens when people are looking for a ground they just pick a black wire and hope that's a dc negative or if there use to wiring in a house they look for a green wire as everyone says the dc negative is ground :facepalm: