Re-foam under ski-locker?

aldfaa

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The original ski locker floor had foam under it that was completly saturated. The ski hold had a drain hole in the floor that I belive allowed the water to accumulate/absorb into the foam since it couldn't get to a drain.
He two options I am considering during repair are
1) leave the ski hold floor drain in place and not foam underneath of it.
2) foam underneath it but eleminate the ski hold floor drain. I would then add a drain to the fuel tank bulkhead, thus allowing the water to find its way to the bilge.

I am planning on gel coating the ski hold after the floor and stringers are in place and I am leaning towards foaming under the ski hold floor and eleminating the drain (As it just drained to the top of the foam.)

What are your thoughts?

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Re-foam under ski-locker?

Why is it not draining?
Pics would really help.

Bondo

Staff member

The original ski locker floor had foam under it that was completly saturated. The ski hold had a drain hole in the floor that I belive allowed the water to accumulate/absorb into the foam since it couldn't get to a drain.
He two options I am considering during repair are
1) leave the ski hold floor drain in place and not foam underneath of it.
2) foam underneath it but eleminate the ski hold floor drain. I would then add a drain to the fuel tank bulkhead, thus allowing the water to find its way to the bilge.

I am planning on gel coating the ski hold after the floor and stringers are in place and I am leaning towards foaming under the ski hold floor and eleminating the drain (As it just drained to the top of the foam.)

What are your thoughts?

Ayuh,... Any, 'n Every compartment in a boat should be able to naturally Drain to a pumpable bilge....
Otherwise, things Rot...

SawDust{RM}

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The floor you refer to is a sub floor, like where your gas tank sits on, I'm guessin your boat is a V hull I/O bowrider
the sub floor where your ski locker is only needs to be 1/2" & you could get away with 3/8" it does not require foam for support
even the hole where the anchor is stored in the bow should have a drain
they should all drain to the center line passing through the bulk heads to the engine compartment to allow bilge access
re-enforce the bulk head drain pass through with a small piece of figberglass tubing, cut 1/4 off the circle & apply with the cut surface to the hull or use the entire circle depends on the diameter of the tubing
the bulk head at the back of the ski locker supplies the support for the deck in that area, however you will need to build a bridge for the forward section of the ski locker for deck support
once your sub floor, bulk heads. & deck are all glassed in place then use the gel to give extra seal

Attachments

• Picture 029.jpg
    Picture 029.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Picture 030.jpg
    Picture 030.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 1