re - coating swirled gelcoat

madfish

Cadet
My boat has blue swirls or spider Web design on the deck. I plan on re-gelcoating it, but how do i get the blue swirls or spider Web back in it?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
If, it's what I think it is, you use a pain brush to get that effect. Post a pic so we can see what you see.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I can't see a pic, but if it's what I think it is, you can buy webbing solution to achieve the look, it needs to be sprayed though. For a cheaper DIY method you can practice the splatter technique with a brush.

madfish

Cadet
Ondarvr, I am re-gelcoating the whole deck and floor with the webb coating, do I have to remove all the gelcoat down to the glass?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Why are you re-doing it? Changes to the boat's layout, damage/repair?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I been around a while and am not familiar with the term Webb Coating. Could you describe this in more detail. As stated previously Pics would greatly help us to help you. It's hard for us to know exactly what you are referencing if we can't see it. Photobucket is your best bet for posting the pics. Use the IMG Code and copy and paste it into your iBoats post.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Ondarvr, I am re-gelcoating the whole deck and floor with the webb coating, do I have to remove all the gelcoat down to the glass?
You just need to sand the entire surface, you can use 36 grit or, no need to remove all the old gel coat, just make sure it's all been sanded.