rds22 shipmaster control

cluke3

Seaman
what is the procedure to replace the shift cable or how do you adjust it.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral
Re: rds22 shipmaster control

That would be a 1960 40 hp? Remote control? Two-lever remote control?

CATransplant

Admiral

Actually, cluke, I think BoatBuoy was asking you, not telling you.<br /><br />I've never replaced the shift cable, so I can't help, but someone will surely have done the job.<br /><br />You about ready to get this thing on the water? I'm looking forward to what you discover.

CATransplant

Admiral

As far as adjustment goes, you set both the engine lever to neutral and the remote lever at the center, neutral, position. Then, you hook the shift cable onto the little bracket on the engine and adjust the screw so the pin that attaches to the shift lever on the engine is aligned properly.<br /><br />That's really all there is to it. As long as the shift lever on the engine shifts the gears properly, you'll be done.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

The screws that hold the control box together are on the back side. The shift lever is on the front half of the box. There is a plastic furrel on both ends of the shift cable. Each furrel has a brass cross pin with a set screw in each end. These set screws lock the cable in place. Loosen both set screws on each end of the cable, and pull the cable off. To replace the cable at the control box end, feed the cable through the furrel, and through the brass cross pin until the cable is flush at the end of the furrel. Draw up the set screw until it makes contact with the cable, and give it one complete turn. This will put a kink in the cable, locking it in place. Draw the second screw up tight against the cable. At the engine end, there is a small round window in the furrel. Feed the cable through the furrel, and brass cross pin until the cable shows in this window. Lock the cable in place, just as before. The cable will come with the core wire cut to the proper length. By no means, cut this core wire. The control box is very simple to put back together.

cluke3

Seaman

cat got it. cranked her up yesterday sounds and idles good i think this power head is a 1966<br />the two bottom screws on the intake are 1/4" the rest are #8 or 10 my other 1964 all the screws were #8 or 10 dont know if this makes a diff.

CATransplant

Admiral

Good deal. Get that shifter hooked up and go for it. We want an on-the-water report!

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Did you want to replace the cable, or adjust it? There is quite a difference here.