Raw water pump winterizing

Olds Eddie

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a closed cooling system with Jabsco replacement for Merc pump. The drain plug is on top with std rotation engine so I made sure the hoses didn't have any water in them. is this sufficient to keep the pump from freezing and cracking?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Raw water pump winterizing

possibly, can you warrenty no raw water will drain from the system and refill the pump cavities ?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Not sure I follow what you're saying. Do you mean you have an engine driven raw water pump instead of the one in the drive? Personally I don't remember seeing any drain plugs on raw water pumps. Sure hope you are not looking at the cam screw and thinking it's a drain.<br />Jabsco makes a zillion different pumps, so it's a bit hard to say exactly what to do without seeing it. If it's impossible to get to, you might just have to remove the inlet hose and dump some RV antifreeze in the hose and crank the engine over (without starting) to get AF in the pump.

Olds Eddie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It is a late 80's 260 merc setup. I have a stainless washer silversoldered onto a hose clamp on the P/S cooler hose that goes to the raw water pump. That way I can jerk the hose off without tools and easily loose any water trapped there. The other hose to the pump goes to a water pickup on the boat bottom. <br />Everything should drain away from the pump but I am a little worried about the small amount of water held in the pump by the impellor. My old tired merc pump leaked it out into the bilge. This is my fishin' boat so I use it through the winter when possible.