Raw water impeller disentegrated. What do I need to check?

simcole

Seaman Apprentice
Hey everyone,

This is my first year owning a boat and I've dumped a ton of money into her and was trying to save some for the winterization. Since I'm new to boats I've learned that this was probably a mistake. I thought my impeller would last for the season but Sunday it disentegrated while at power. The engine immediately went toward red line and I shut it down. I pulled the pump off and got a friend to tow me back in. I found impeller fins everywhere. I even dumped a few out of the hoses. I could not account for everything because of how it came apart. There is not a single fin left on the hub.

Did I destroy my engine?

My parts guy said that that's a common problem with Volvo Pentas and they need to be replaced every two years. He said I should look into putting in a "primer tank" of sorts so that when I go to start my engine there is already water in the water pump. He suggested a car coolant like tank with T junction and one way valve. He said the priming of water on engine starts is what destroys these impellers.

I'm more concerned on the immediate future of what I need to do to find all these pieces. How deep do I need to go? I would say the engine ran for a solid minute or two before the temps rose to where i noticed them and it got to red line.

Thanks in advance.

captmello

Captain
Re: Raw water impeller disentegrated. What do I need to check?

I wouldn't worry about the primer tank, just change the impeller every two years.

Pull the thermostat housing and remove all the pieces you can find. I'm not sure if you can backflush the manifolds or not...What engine?

simcole

Seaman Apprentice

I'm not sure about the manifolds either. Do I need a new thermostat housing gasket? Is there one?

1996 pncace 5.7gi

captmello

Captain

Exhaust And Cooling 5.7GIPNCACE, 5.7GIPNCMCE, 5.7GIINCSCE - 7797230 - Volvo Penta

#52,29 look like they should be replaced, I think I would do the thermo, #41 while I had it apart.

Looking at the pic of the exhaust manifold in the parts diagram, It looks like there is an opening at each end of the mani, which may allow you to try to backflush. Personally, I would do the thermo housing and run it and see if it cools...