Raw Water Cooling Versus Closed Cooling

milkyway

Chief Petty Officer
Which of these two types of cooling system is more desirable "overall" having from small block v-8 to big block?

Dakota47

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Raw Water Cooling Versus Closed Cooling

Closed cooling..

Flukinicehole

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here on Long Island with the salt water closed cooling, in fresh water it doesnt matter.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Closed Cooling, always.
If you are in salt or brackish water, it's best to have a closed cooling system. Less rust and corrosion on all the engine cooling system parts. Block, core plugs, circ pumps, etc.
In fresh water, it keeps the sand & mud from the lake or river, out of the engine.
It also protects the engine from cracked blocks if you don't drain the raw water in time............. as long as you keep the antifreeze up.
I also keeps broken impellers out of the block and thermostat housing when you don't change it until too late.
It also allows a slightly higher engine temp, which is better for the engine and the fuel economy.

Robj

Lieutenant

So far everyone says closed cooling, and I also agree. Lots of engines run raw water cooling but closed is the way to go if you have a choice. Otherwise raw water cooling works too, but not as desirable.

Have a great day,

Rob.

milkyway

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the input. I'd prefer closed cooling next time i buy a newer boat. Just got to the website of I-netmarine.com and found this q and a.

Q: If fresh water cooling is any good, why isn?t it standard from the engine manufacturer?
A: It is simply a matter of cost. The boat building business is very cost competitive. Most boat builders do not want to spend any more money than is absolutely necessary on the power package and, therefore, specify the less expensive raw water cooled engine. Improvements such as FWC are usually left to the owner?s option.