Rare project boat?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Rare project boat?

i remember them. same it is so far away.

ArkBoater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you might like to have this once you restore it. ;)

fun.jpg

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Wow. All the annoyance and irritation of a jet ski, with the added bonus of an unprotected, life threatening propeller.

:D

CATransplant

Admiral

Wow. All the annoyance and irritation of a jet ski, with the added bonus of an unprotected, life threatening propeller.

:D

I'm sure that had a deadman switch on it. Kill that 33hp and the prop stops virtually instantly. I would like to see those two with lifejackets on, though, but that wouldn't be sexy.

One of those would make a pretty cool project, I think.

eli_lilly

Chief Petty Officer

This is one of the coolest threads I've seen in the 2 or 3 years I've been on here. I had _no idea_ early jet skis were powered this way!

-E

GregE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This is one of the coolest threads I've seen in the 2 or 3 years I've been on here. I had _no idea_ early jet skis were powered this way!

-E

Now the question for those who know is........what did they call them with outboards on them, before they changed over to jet-drive motors? I would think the "jet ski" term came into being based on the jet-drive motor.

contractorguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think they were called water bikes or water cycles.

I remember some thing called a wet bike... It had a high seat and rode like a motorcycle

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

I think they were called water bikes or water cycles.

I remember some thing called a wet bike... It had a high seat and rode like a motorcycle

A friend had one of the first “Wet Bikes” when we were in High School and as apposed to today, it was the boats that were a danger to us. They would chase you all over the lake trying to see what it was, sometimes coming within feet of us at wide open throttle!

... and you think the PWC are nuts now days, boaters with a few drinks behind them can be really dangerous people ...

wetbike3.jpg

It was super cool and would run at about 50MPH at WOT. You rode it like a motorcycle & a horse at the same time. I remember having to wear knee pads because of the beating they would take while trying to hold on at speed in rough water.

It did have a weak point and that was the front HydroLink suspension. It would often break under the extreme conditions we put it through, and it was hard to get replacement parts for it. The last time it happened it took two years to find one, and he sold it without even taking it out again.

Spent many years of racing around Texoma on this thing though.

wetbike.jpg

Saw a new one (never used) from a dealer on e-bay last month.

It was also used in a James Bond movie.

wetbike-bond.jpg

"The Wetbike ridden by James Bond in the move - The Spy Who Loved Me - "is the actual engineering prototype of the first Wetbike ever built. This Wetbike was ridden by Roger Moore when Bond travels across the water from a nuclear submarine to Stomberg's oceanographic laboratory Atlantis. The Wetbike was invented by Nelson Tyler (U.S. Patent #3,948,206) who made a name for himself in the film industry by inventing the most popular helicopter camera-mount system available." www.foils.org/oneperson.htm

P.S. I guess I should add, that the most fun I ever had on the water, was on one of these!

Last edited:

fixb52s

Chief Petty Officer

These old water bikes are so cool! Of course with society today, they could NEVER be built. Too many lawyers and sue happy idiots killed these kind of things. That magazine cover could never find it's way to the news stand today without some "safety" group calling for their death (maybe that is happened with these).

Then again, they are from an era where us kids played unstrapped in the back of the old Caprice Estate station wagon doing 70 on the highway, and we drank from garden hoses! :D

It does remind me of the kite tubes from a few years ago. Cover shots showing them as fun things... until some idiots broke their necks. :(

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

... and road in the back of Pick-Ups on the side rail!

... and jumped off the house with homemade parachutes!

... and, and, and ... :D

Pretty soon they will outlaw showers in America because they are too dangerous. I read once there were more deaths per thousand, in shower related accidents, as compared to all extreme sports put together.