Rapido 4.3 trouble

ss9940_2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi there fellow Iboaters!

Here's the story:

I bought a 4.3 89-93 reman engine in march (i think it was march or something), from Rapidomarine got & installed it. The oil pump was new! The engine ran fine for about 10-15 hours, then it started getting loud. When we pulled it, we found metal particles in oil. Looks like the bearing on the main shaft (piston #1) is toast! Now, what do you think could cause that mess? Need expert opinons! What do you think would be wiser - to send the engine back or just repair it? One of the trouble is also that Raul doesn't answer my emails...

The problem now is delivery time for Warranty. Before I get the engine back to Rapido (remember, i'm from EU) and they repair it & get it back to me, the season will be over. I decided to buy another engine, but the delivery time with a ship is still 3 weeks (+the time rapido needs to prepare an engine for shipping!) Can any 1 recommend me an air freight company so I don't have to wait that long to get it? The customer is EATING ME UP!!!! Season is starting!!!

Some pictures:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

9.jpg

Thanx

Alex

180shabah

Rear Admiral
Re: Rapido 4.3 trouble

I don't know what it is like over there, but here it would not be too difficult to find a decent running 4.3(from a van or truck) move the marine externals over to it and get the customer on the water until the "new" engine arrived. The labor to R&R the engine an extra time has got to be less than the air freight charges, and you can salvage some of the season for your customer.

Just explain what you are doing, and WHY(so he can use his boat) and let him make the decision.

erikgreen

Captain

I'd recommend a phone call to Raul, or an email to someone else there, he seems to be a pretty busy guy.

As to what caused the problem, I can't really guess, but if it's only one bearing I'd lean toward a defect in the bearing or improper install? I'm not an expert in engine failures.

Regardless I do think Rapido will make it right, just give them a chance. And I feel for you having a non working boat in season :(

Erik

ss9940_2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey shabbah!

The trouble is, GM blocks are not used in Europe by cars OR trucks. Mainly smaller engines, diesels ofc. Do you think repairing is an option? I could ask Raul to send me the bearing, what do you think? Is repairing it myself an option?

Alex

ss9940_2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi guys! Still no answer... would it be possible to just change the bearing & clean up the system or would the main shaft need machining?

Thanx

Alex

getinmerry

Petty Officer 1st Class

99.9% chance the crank needs machining after that mess. To slap a new bearing in there is asking for trouble...big trouble.

Chuck

45Auto

Commander

Kind of stupid to guess at whether the crank needs repair or have other people guess if it needs repair or not!

Mercruiser manual #7 has the specs for the crank on page 3B-4 (see pic below). Get a competent mechanic to check the crank with a micrometer and you will KNOW if you need to repair it. It can probably be turned down for an undersize bearing if required. Hard to tell what the metal chips are from the pics, but I would do a complete tear-down and inspection on that motor before I put it back in a boat.

CShaft.jpg

ss9940_2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So I guess it's better let Rapido handle it... Does any 1 have any suggestions / recommendations for an air freight transporter?

Thanx

Alex

Maclin

Admiral

Rapido knew it was going overseas, surely they have some recourse for this type of scenario. Usually you can find a shop that Rapido could interview and trust and then reimburse you for expenses that the shop on your end finds are necessary. In a case like this it is probably best to let the two shops work it out as to what they find on your end and what Rapido will own up to. I would try that route first before crating it all back to the US.