Rapala Fish Hook Extractor

kshelly

Petty Officer 2nd Class
A previous post by Tom 2697 mentioned a "Repala Fish Hook Extractor" that can be found at BoatersWorld.com, item 479530503. I checked it out and was wondering if anybody else uses this contraption. It looks like a big tool to me. Too big for smaller catfish, bass, etc. Anyone have info on this tool and whether it's good for all sizes of fish???

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Rapala Fish Hook Extractor

I've seen them, and some similar.<br />They are only about 14"? long and 1/2" in diameter.<br />Strap aroound your wrist so you don't drop it in the water.<br />Hold in the same hand, squeeze handles together to grab hook. You can reach about 10" down into the fish's mouth if need be.<br /><br />My dad has an old steel one, which you can pick up for about $7 if you can find one.<br /><br />Should work for most fish over 10-12# in size.

Johnnielund

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It looks like Bass Pro Shop also carries them. Before I buy one, does anybody know if it works on trebble hooks?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

I've got one of the Bass Pro models - has sort of a pistol grip design. It works great on treble hooks; not as easy on the fish as with single hooks but lots easier on your fingers!<br /><br />Works on any size fish as long as their mouth is wide enough. Any size bass or cat, anyway. or crappie. Might not work too good on small drum or carp, or bluegills.<br /><br />Ever have a fish hooked by both lips on a treble? Comes in real handy then.<br /><br />It's one of the handiest cheap gadgets I've got.<br /><br />[edit] just read the post you mentioned about the Rapala - mine isn't so fancy. The end has a gripper about an inch long X half-inch wide, sort of like the end of a pair of pliers. It's more like one of those things that extend your reach to pick up something you dropped. Still works, though.