Ran my bayliner aground...doh!

Steve Mahler

Petty Officer 1st Class
I sometimes hear people say Bayliners will break apart in waves etc. I have now inadvertently proved that UNTRUE.

Long stupid story short, after a long rainy weekend running in the Erie Canal, 10mph, boooring cold windy days... I became distracted by my young kids, trying to fix something under the dash to run the DVD, and the boat veered off course and I ran right up onto the rock/grass side of the canal. I actually looked up just as the small tree cleared the bow pulpit on my 94 2655. I am having nightmares about that moment, and that horrible dull thud thud.

Unbelievably, to me anyhow, the only damage was a bent prop. Because of the cold weather I have not yet dived under the hull to really feel the bottom, but no leaks, visible cracks....boy I am a fool.

Needless to say I kept my damn eyes on the road the rest of the trip. So the next time somebody bashes a cheap bayliner, I will tell them about my rock bash

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: Ran my bayliner aground...doh!

At 10 mph any boat should be able to handle that, other than perhaps hitting a sharp object like a pointed rock. But if you went way up, you shold haul and inspect, maybe notify insurance?
Like a low impact in a car, there may also be damage that is not readily apparent to the structure of the hull. Also I don't know anything about hits to a I/O lower unit; it wouldn't hurt an outboard at that speed.

AquaCruz

Cadet

Wow....well forget the boat, at least everyone was OK. Things could have been worse with all of you ending up in the cold water!!!

Not to break your bubble on the cheap Bayliner myth but my friend just had his Bayliner break apart on him over the weekend. He was in the intercoastal waterway near Holden Beach NC and whitecaps were coming into the waterway. He was facing the waves waiting for a large vessel to enter the waterway when his girlfriend noticed that she could see through an opening where the gunwale connects to the side of the boat. Needless to say, he made it back but lost a lot of the trim and each wave he went over while cruising back to his dock made the two pieces of his boat slam together chipping away at it bit by bit.

The only reason I mention this is to let you know.....THINGS CAN ALWAYS BE WORSE!!!!

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just so you don't feel too bad about doing something REALLY STUPID:rolleyes:, I will share with you that you are not alone. WE might be alone, but you know...

In '99, I was meeting some friends at the island for a cook out.:) We were almost there and I got distracted. Ended up on the wrong side of the island,:eek: boat sitting on rocks, my wife in the water:mad:, and me in the bow. Nine foot of keel a permanent part of the river.:(
So like Aquacruz said, things can always be worse!

And it was a Bayliner

jakebrake

Petty Officer 1st Class

steve and thad;

regardless of the brand (I have no qualms with bayliner, i think they look pretty sharp) you guys learned a lesson, with NO INJURIES!

aquacruz is 100% right...it could always be worse!

now get her checked out to make sure she's water worthy, and get back out there!

and be safe.

P 0 P E Y E

Chief Petty Officer

Good that nobody got hurt.....

Mistakes are part of growing up .I had a grand dad that would say that about himself when HE made mistakes.

The first thing is look around and make sure none of your buddies saw you mess up...Just kidding.

mooregm5

Cadet

Hi Steve,

Been there and done that, sorta. On day 2 of a 30 day trip near Little Falls (Erie Canal) we did not see a green marker way on the left side of the canal and ran aground on some silting from a stream. We were going slow like you and it was soft. We only put some cracks in the rudder, fortunately it was not bad enough to ruin our trip.

Its a real a wake up call to be very diligent even on the canal. Glad it only cost you a prop repair.