Ramping for dummies

Noobguy

Cadet
Ha! So at the ramp today, waiting patiently to launch my baby, little jeep Cherokee empty trailer cuts me off. Take in stride; listing to Bob Marley and jabbering at me kids. Guy loads his boat, maybe 17' sterndrive. Karma moment; trimmed down outdrive. Scrape crunch tingalingaling. Gouged the ramp, broke the lower unit fin, bent the prop. Poor bastard.

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Yep that's karma for ya people are rude I ve mumble mumble mumble dragged my sked up a few ramps luckily it hasn't snapped off but good on you for not reacting to his foolishness

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Im luck on two point. Only wide enough for single file to the ramp and even all the way down ive got about 4 iches clearance

Noobguy

Cadet
I think worst I've done is back off the ramp side. About a 6" drop. Left the motor running the other day too, bye bye impeller... both scared me but good. Saw a guy forget to put his monster lifted truck with bald tires in 4wd, and his lady was fishtailing all over the ramp. It can be a fun place to peoplewatch.

littlerayray

Lieutenant
There's a few retired people who sit by the ramp every Saturday just to watch the yahoo's launch and retrieve

gm280

Supreme Mariner
There's a few retired people who sit by the ramp every Saturday just to watch the yahoo's launch and retrieve

I guarantee you that if you sit and watch any ramp most any day, you will see some hilarious things happen. Humans can be funny folks some times...

littlerayray

Lieutenant
I have done it a few times but now it frustrates me and I want to yell so I stay away unless I'm launching

Noobguy

Cadet
Hahaha agreed ray ray. One of my favorites is that guy who launches his boat, moors it, parks the truck, and then comes back. That used to be me. ;) My favorite personal retrieval was a dead battery with rainy wind blowing directly down the ramp. Tied a tow rope to each forward cleat across the whole marina, and then swam out with the trailer strap. Bet some retirees enjoyed that one.

Last edited:

Maclin

Admiral
"One of my favorites is that guy who launches his boat, moors it, parks the truck, and then comes back. "

How else would one launch alone...?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
When I was on the lake more then off the lake, I could launch my boat in a mere seconds. I had everything ready and mere seconds to get it into the water and trailer driving out the ramp. Of course that was with two of us as well. These days, I know it would take some minutes because the wife and I are older for one thing, but my wife has had a stroke and heart attack and she moves more precautious these days. And I will not jeopardize her safety for time...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
How else would one launch alone...?
I was wondering the same.

I would never park my chair and watch other people's troubles with amusement. I guess some people have no life and little character. I usually try to help people that are having problems rather than watching for the humor in it.

Last edited:

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was wondering the same.

I would never park my chair and watch other people's troubles with amusement. I guess some people have no life and little character. I usually try to help people that are having problems rather than watching for the humor in it.
2 thumbs up!!!!

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Hahaha agreed ray ray. One of my favorites is that guy who launches his boat, moors it, parks the truck, and then comes back. That used to be me. ;)

That's the way I've "always" launched whether by myself or not. Maybe that's a no-no if there are 20 boats waiting to launch? But, I've never been in that situation.

littlerayray

Lieutenant
That's the way I've "always" launched whether by myself or not. Maybe that's a no-no if there are 20 boats waiting to launch? But, I've never been in that situation.
I launch that way myself but I pull the boat out of the way so I'm not blocking the ramp if people get upset over my five minute launch and that's from backing the trailer to pulling the trailer out of the ramp then that's their problem I use the staging area to prep my boat rather then at the launch .

What burns me is the people that back their trailer to the ramp then load their boat

southkogs

Staff member
... One of my favorites is that guy who launches his boat, moors it, parks the truck, and then comes back ... My favorite personal retrieval was a dead battery with rainy wind blowing directly down the ramp. Tied a tow rope to each forward cleat across the whole marina, and then swam out with the trailer strap. Bet some retirees enjoyed that one.
Yikes! Either of those dudes coulda' been me! The Admiral carries VIP status on board and as such I typically launch and retrieve solo.

But I've also been in the jam of limping back to the ramp and having to man-handle the boat back on to the wagon. Had to swim it all the way in one time and NO ONE in the marina offered a hand. Lotsa' line and a strong winch ...

There certainly are some loonies at the ramps, but things aren't always as looney as they may seem.

NAT1VE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What burns me is the people that back their trailer to the ramp then load their boat

YES! These are the worst people. We even have signs here that say "Staging area" but still doesn't help:facepalm:. Seems to always be the "Bros" who back to the ramp and then decide to load the beer cooler and all their gear. Occasionally it's the family with a new wake boat, taking 20 minutes to figure out how to back 30 feet. Get to the water and decide now is the time to pack up their boat...:cold:

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Where I launch has two ramps I prefer launching and retrieving from the starboard but I've learned to put out fenders and dock lines for both sides cuz I've had on more then one occasion have someone skip me in line and take my spot as I was backing up so I just set up for both sides that way I keep my temper in check the funny thing is when this happens I am always launched and away from the dock even with them jumping in front of me

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
Has anyone seen a sign posted at a ramp that lists how one should go about using the ramp? Time and again, I/we see people committing etiquette sins by people who might do things differently if there was a posted pattern to follow. Experienced boaters are not usually the transgressers, but they have learned through their experience, both at ramps in general and perhaps also at a particular ramp just how things should proceed. I recall once parking in what I thought was a suitable staging area before launching at a municipal ramp only to be accosted by another boater who told me rather rudely that I should be parked on the left side, not the right side of the dead end leading to the ramp. A sign would have helped.

Perhaps those of us with experience could/should develop a postable procedural list that to us may only seem logical, but would help new boaters (and experienced users) keep the ramp moving. Maybe this has already been done? Ideas? - Grandad