Raising the outboard - Evinrude is stuck

IWishMyBoatRan

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi! I have a 1971 60 H.P. Evinrude Model 60173 E and I'm a newbie with outboards that don't have power tilt/trim.

When the outboard is up, there is a lock that holds it up. There is a pin/rod that I have in the third hole that stays there.
When I let the outboard down, it rests against that rod/pin. Now, when I'm not running the engine, I can just raise and lower the outboard by hand and put it back in the lock position. But out on the water, if I run it, and stop the engine, I walk to the back and cannot raise it. I have to get out of the water, get to the back of the boat, raise the outboard slightly and pull that pin/rod out of the hole, then raise the outboard into the lock position. Its like the outboard is grabbing onto that pin/rod and not letting go of it. From what other people have said, I should just be able to walk to the back of the boat and raise my outboard up so I don't break anything when approaching to bank/dock/etc --- Now, I do have another thread saying it won't go into neutral, but forward and reverse works. Could the fact its not going into neutral make it stay locked? Any "levers" back by the outboard that I have to pull first before raising the outboard?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Raising the outboard - Evinrude is stuck

Between the transom brackets, on the engine swivel bracket just above the transom, there is a small lever that can be turned to the left or right (tilt/lock). Turning it one way, the engine can be tilted. Turning it the opposite way, the engine is locked down so that it will not raise when the engine is put into reverse gear.

IWishMyBoatRan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The only lever I see is the one that when you raise the engine up, it locks it up completely, and its on the left side of the engine.
Do you have a photo or anything of where the lever you are talking about is?

71Windsor

Petty Officer 1st Class

what joe reeves described is the most likely scenerio but just for giggles. what is the condition of the rod you have placed in the third hole? new? correded? bent? rusting? same for where the engine resides again the road is there any corrosion bendind ect? might be as stupid as something ever so slightly bent thats fetching up on you.

IWishMyBoatRan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

rod looks fine, no rust, not bent or anything. Same as the hook arms, everything looks normal.
What triggers the arm to lock?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Do you have a photo or anything of where the lever you are talking about is?

I'll see if I can come up with one. However, that lever is a small one just a little over a inch in length... sitting in the boat, facing the engine, it would be dead centered with the engine in line with the crankshaft, and just above the transom.

Look closely... if it has broken off, there will be a hole there.

IWishMyBoatRan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok, I'll go take a pic and look.. Will post in under 10 minutes.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Try this picture............

Attachments

• Broken Tilt Lock.jpg
    Broken Tilt Lock.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 0

IWishMyBoatRan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for pointing that out. How can it be replaced

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for pointing that out. How can it be replaced

Helluva job... It's been so long since I did that repair, I wouldn't know where to start now. It was really a lousy design.

Better to do a work around job... Tilt the engine up and find the spring loaded grab mechanism that takes hold of that rod/pin you mention that's in the third hole of the transom brackets. Normally there's a hole in the middle of that grab lever where you can attach a nylon starter cord and run that cord up into the engine well somewhere. Then to unlock and lift the engine, just pull the cord.

IWishMyBoatRan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Rope [X]
Fixed [X]

Lots of thanks to all of you [X]

Awesome! Now I need to make that lever that locks the engine up, to fall into place without having to lean half way out of the boat.