RAIN! What now?

sierrak9s

Seaman
I've been religious about keeping both the snap-on cover AND the boat cover on whenever the boat is parked, to keep the rain out. But we took her out this morning and got caught -- a Biblical downpour just as we were pulling in. By the time we got the boat on the trailer, we were soaked, and by the time I got the boat home 30 minutes later, there was a half-inch of water in the boat. The carpet is very very wet.

We put on the snap-on cover as soon as we got home, to keep as much new water out as we could. Once it stops pouring, what do I do to dry her out? I don't want mildew!

(oh, and we had so much fun this morning before the skies opened up, it's worth whatever I have to do now to fix it. OMG but the fish were biting and we had the lake completely to ourselves. Unreal.)

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral
Re: RAIN! What now?

I guess ya had the lake to yourselves because other boaters paid attention to the weather report..lol
Had to, sorry!

Good ya covered her to prevent new water getting in, did ya jack the bow high and pull the plug? I am sure this one event wont ruin your boat

sierrak9s

Seaman

I guess ya had the lake to yourselves because other boaters paid attention to the weather report..lol
Had to, sorry!

Good ya covered her to prevent new water getting in, did ya jack the bow high and pull the plug? I am sure this one event wont ruin your boat

:D That's okay, they stayed home and dry and I had the time of my life.

I didn't pull the plug yet, because it was thundery and I wanted to get inside. I'd better do that as soon as I can, huh?

ziggy

Admiral

Once it stops pouring, what do I do to dry her out?
i've already gotten had too. beat the rain on the lake, but not on the way home. :(
when i got home i just put it bow high, plug already pulled at the ramp and put the cover on my soaked boat. then waited for the rains to subside. after the rains. took the cover off and spread it out to dry . i vacummed the carpet dry as i could, wiped anything that was wet off and then just left her to sun dry. how long it takes depends on how wet it got plus the conditions yer drying in. winds, sun, humidity, lateeda. got mine soaked one time and it took near a week for everything to dry out... this last time, it took only a day.
bow high, plug out, vacuum and wipe dry as much as possible, and let air dry.
I didn't pull the plug yet, because it was thundery and I wanted to get inside. I'd better do that as soon as I can, huh?
yep. ya should..

sierrak9s

Seaman

Thanks everybody! I went out and pulled the plug -- hadn't ever had to do that before, the boat is usually bone-dry -- and at least a gallon of water gushed out. So THANKS!!

alwims

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks everybody! I went out and pulled the plug -- hadn't ever had to do that before, the boat is usually bone-dry -- and at least a gallon of water gushed out. So THANKS!!

Sorry, but if you only had a gallon come out, you weren't in much rain. I've been caught out in the rain and when I got to the ramp and pulled the plug, water ran out for 10 minutes. This was after the bilge pump ran all the way back to the ramp also. Don't worry too much about mildew and rot as boats are made to get wet, sometimes inside and out. Just leave it out in the sun after it quits raining and it'll dry out just fine.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

One time my wife and I got caught in a gullywasher in our 14' tinny with 9.5 HP Rude. Now, I have a hand pump, but no electric bilge pump because the boat has no battery. The more it rained the slower I went....LOL. I tried to stop and bail but Wifey said Nooo, just keep on going. It was 90 degress and we both had just been swimming, so we were wet anyway. When I got to the vacation camp, I just beached the boat and waited the storm out. We had a good 4" of water in her. If I had been a mile further away I would have had to stop and bail or we woulld'nt have made it.

But I digress.

Your boat will be fine. As soon as the sun comes out take ff the cover and dry her out. Clean the upholstery and put the cover back on.

DO worry about mildew though. Get her dried out ASAP.

Now, the most important lesson you learned here is..........fish bite best on an incoming front.

samagy16

Petty Officer 2nd Class

With all due respect.

How long have u had your boat?

You have never pulled your plug before?

What happened to you is normal operating procedure here in Miami over the summer.

I can always count on the most amazingly perfect day to go out boating until mid to late afternoon where I can definately expect a 15 min downpour like you have never seen before, and after I can easily continue with my day or afternoon like nothing ever happened. Getting lots of water in my boat in a short period of time is par for the course.

I'd say nothing to worry about, let it air out and dry, IMO vaccuming anything out when the sun still exists everyday is wasting quality time you could be spending doing something else.:D

a70eliminator

Captain

Don't stress over it, it happens. Part of my trailering routine is to pull the plug, it's last thing I do before leaving.
Soon after the rain pull that cover off and open all the hatches, open seat bases, battery compartment engine cover everything out beach towells, rope, ect. and let her dry out.

sierrak9s

Seaman

With all due respect.

How long have u had your boat?

You have never pulled your plug before?

Four weeks! :D I'm still learning where everything is. I had to call my neighbor down to help me get the plug out -- it was wicked stuck and I didn't have the right kind of wrench.

a70eliminator

Captain

That plug should be easy access, don't tell me someone threaded it in from the inside?

sierrak9s

Seaman

That plug should be easy access, don't tell me someone threaded it in from the inside?

No, it's threaded, but the bolt head is outside just under the outdrive. But whoever put it in last put plumber's tape around the threads to make it stick.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

No, it's threaded, but the bolt head is outside just under the outdrive. But whoever put it in last put plumber's tape around the threads to make it stick.

You have what is called a garboard plug with pipe threads...no tape needed, and DO NOT put back in too tight. Finger tight, then about a 1/8 to 1/4 turn, is all you need.

Any tighter and you risk moving the sealed flange...and that could mean water getting to your transom wood!

Happy boating!

samagy16

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sierra,

That plug could be a horrible thing if you forget to reinstall before launching your boat in the water :eek:, but don't be afraid to uninstall it everytime you take your boat out of the water also. You wouldn't want for any of your covers to fail and then :eek:, let's just say you wouldn't have to worry about taking your boat out if you wanted to swim, say, inside of a very unique pool shaped like a boat!!:eek:

splicer

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Don't let it sit too long with the cover on, all that moisture under the cover is what will cause mildew. And I always pull the plug at the ramp before I head home. You need a way for the water to get out that might get in if your cover breaks, or leaks, or anything that may happen.

a70eliminator

Captain

Agree!

And if the carpet is the rubber backed snap in remove it and let it dry in the sun.
For a few bucks grab a couple extra plugs,one for the boat and one for the tow vehicle..;)

http://www.iboats.com/Garboard-Drai...1215862--**********.441491485--view_id.167317

Yea no doubt you wouldn't want the tow vehicle to sink!
LOL just funin we all know what you meant, and that's a good practice, I have extra in on board kit and one in boat glove box. If anything, some day I'll save somebody else from a bad day.

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Don't let it sit too long with the cover on, all that moisture under the cover is what will cause mildew. And I always pull the plug at the ramp before I head home. You need a way for the water to get out that might get in if your cover breaks, or leaks, or anything that may happen.

Don't worry about it. Boats are made to get wet.

1 Pull the plug at the ramp.
2 Let the boat dry.
3 Enjoy