radio reception poor, help

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer
We have a Clarion radio in our boat with 4 speakers. I think it has a built in antenna and the reception is poor. Does anyone know a way to boost the antenna? for better reception.

BobGinCO

Chief Petty Officer
Re: radio reception poor, help

Odds are, that it does NOT have a built in antenna. This would explain the bad reception. My solution is to run my USB Stick for tunes.

81_chapparel194

Petty Officer 1st Class

+2 on built in antenna, as i cant recall seing any with that feature, and if it were the reception would suck. chanes are it has an external wether it be broken off or never installed is a good valid question. i would remove the head unit and check for an antenna cable. thick black cable plugs directly into a female port in the back of the radio. you can get a fold down antenna from auto zone or wally world that mounts to the boat then has a ball just above the base for easy fold down when not in use. it should pick up as clear as the radio in your car. (same exact principle). my boat has a short antenna about a foot tall and i am considering changing it to one with a 30 inch mast maybe with a spring base so that i dont break it off. but i also like the idea of using a usb jump drive if you have the usb port in the front of the unit. i personally use a 3.5 mm cable to play music off of my phone/ipod. as when im 10 miles out its hard to get signal for fm radio. sometimes i use cd's if i think about grabbing them out of the truck before launching. im almost certain you probaly have an auxport for the ipod connection. and maybe a usb port.

MinUph

Chief Petty Officer

YEs adding an antenna should do the trick. Ours has one and it stays down all the time but I'm sure without it I would get no reception at all. All radios will have an antenna jack as 81 mentioned.

lakegeorge

Thanks guys, I think I might try an mp3 player. I have a jack in the dash that says Clarion on the rubber cover and I think it's probably for an MP3 or I pod.
I am also going to go under the dash and look for the antenna wire as I know for a fact that it's not on top of dash.

81_chapparel194

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys, I think I might try an mp3 player. I have a jack in the dash that says Clarion on the rubber cover and I think it's probably for an MP3 or I pod.
I am also going to go under the dash and look for the antenna wire as I know for a fact that it's not on top of dash.

it may not be a "wire" as much as a round receptacle that is built into the back of the stereo unit and the male antenna wire plugs into the hole. radio.jpgUntitled.jpg the red arrows show where the receptacle is and the other image shows what the receptacle will receive (antenna cable end)

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Reception all ways seams to be very poor out on the water, I learned that years ago and use the SD memory cards a 2 gig card will hold around 400 songs.

Jeep Man

Commander

Mine is the same as Richard's, a small "T" fm antenna that is stuck to the inside of the helm. No problem picking up all local stations.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

I hear this complaint alot, and from folks in areas that normally get good reception in their cars. Some have had success with antennas but no one I've talked with has ever had a good fix. Get yourself some XM and fugettaboutit.

rogerwa

Commander

I installed an antenna hat you can mount in the console and it works ok. But what I like to do is connect my blackberry via the aux jack and stream pandora.

lakegeorge

I see a lot of good answers and I am going to try a couple of them. Thanks

OK Toon

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My antenna plugs into the head unit and then is just a wire that I stretch out under the helm. It gets pretty good reception. But we just put in a new Pioneer head unit that has a USB port to plug in the iPod. The sound is incredible coming through that port as compared to using the MP3 1/8" mini plug.

MolsonCanadian

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A lot of the time you'll find the antenna wire is looped around a bolt securing your bow rail, in essence making the bow rail the antenna.