Quicksilver Commander Throttle/Shift Replacement... With what?

AshleysRevenge

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello everyone,

If I'm in the wrong forum let me know.

This is what I have a quicksilver with trim up/down and a trailer button. I want to replace it with something that will work with the Mercruiser 260 that I have. The boat is an 1983 so I am pretty sure this is original. I would rather not replace the cables if I don't have to just the. I'm fine if it doesn't have a trailer button as well.
Will a Mercury 4000 Gen II work?

Attachments

• photo220657.jpg
    photo220657.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

AshleysRevenge

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well they could probably need replacing anyway. I've replaced everything else I will guess just bite the bullet unless there is another throttle that will do the job.
on the 4000 Gen II does anyone know what the difference is between 883710A02 and 883710A03. I've looked but I'm not really sure what the difference is.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Is there a Problem with the controller ya got,..??

AshleysRevenge

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well it's old.

We removed the controller to change the fwd/rev cable while the motor was out because it was fraying on the outside badly.

When it was removed the inner pin broke. The one you push for throttle only, no gear engagement. Fixed 6 months later.

Now it is sticky. One can put it in neutral/fwd (push pin in/ gas only) and increase the rpm BUT when returning to natural/fwd (Clockwise) it gets stuck at a lower than idle rpms, does not come back to standard 650-700 idle (engine dies). So in other words, the boat coming out of forward (no load) dies when it gets to the point when it should just be idling and not die.

Which would point to the carb (if not the throttle). I think, but one of two things
A: I didn't get it put back together right with the right amount of friction ( too much friction) OR
B: I would just like to avoid the headache of trying to fix the 30y old throttle and replace the whole thing.

AshleysRevenge

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello
I had Brandon review your message and he said this will work fine for you, just switch out the cables as you said you would be doing.

I did a bit of research on the 02 vs 03 ending on the part number and all I was able to discern is the 02 is for outboard applications and the 03 is for I/O apps which I found in Mercury's Midas electronic catalog. Hope that helps.

ewpvic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had a similar problem, but instead of going to a newer style I used an older style controller. I found them very sturdy in comparison - and no cable changes.