Quick prop question with stats.

skongolf

Seaman
I have a 97 maxum 2000srf with a 5.7 mercruiser. I damaged my 3 blade prop the other day and want to go to a 4 blade aluminum. After doing the various prop calculators from different sites on the web I am getting different answers. Some are saying go to a 14.5 x 17 while others are saying 14.5 x 18. My current prop is stock I believe which is supposed to be 15.5 x 18 but the stamp on it looks like 14.5 x 18 (warn and hard to read). Anyway, I want to know what is the best choice for wakeboarding and tubing. I am not really concerned about top speed. Also my WOT is 4600 rpm and 45 mph with 4 people and a full tank. Thanks in advance for help.

drivehard

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Quick prop question with stats.

With those current stats, and you leaning toward water sports, I would go for the 17" pith four blade. I think that would give you the performance you are looking for.
DH

sublauxation

Lieutenant

I agree with him on the 17 pitch for watersports based on your info but I'm a little surprised that that motor doesn't turn a bigger prop, I have that same prop on my 90hp evinrude. I'm assuming you have a pretty heavy boat. I'd look up the recommended RPM range for your motor.

skongolf

Seaman

The recommended RPM range is 4200 to 4800 and right now I am at 4600 WOT.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

imo a 5.7 in a 20footer should be running something like a 21" pitch.
easily making its rated rpm.Makes me wonder if there isn't something up with the motor or dirty bottom etc.

sethjon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have a 97 maxum 2000srf with a 5.7 mercruiser. I damaged my 3 blade prop the other day and want to go to a 4 blade aluminum. After doing the various prop calculators from different sites on the web I am getting different answers. Some are saying go to a 14.5 x 17 while others are saying 14.5 x 18. My current prop is stock I believe which is supposed to be 15.5 x 18 but the stamp on it looks like 14.5 x 18 (warn and hard to read). Anyway, I want to know what is the best choice for wakeboarding and tubing. I am not really concerned about top speed. Also my WOT is 4600 rpm and 45 mph with 4 people and a full tank. Thanks in advance for help.

I like aluminum 4 blade props. The 17 or 18 pitch should work fine.

skongolf

Seaman

Steel- the boat is right at spec and according to the owners manual the stock prop is an 15.5 x 18. So hopefully no engine issue. I am pretty sure I am getting the 14.5 x 17 4 blade aluminum, but iboats has a great deal on the Volvo QL props. Just don't know much about them. Any thoughts?