Quick one: Why did my TLDI outboard come with a "safety rope?"

whosmatt

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This outboard cannot be rope started, correct? Why did it come with a rope, then? Just curious.

sgrem

Cadet
Re: Quick one: Why did my TLDI outboard come with a "safety rope?"

I have a 2003 90hp TLDI and mine starts easily with a rope on the first pull.

whosmatt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

But you still have to have a battery? so this is just in case the starter fails?

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer

This outboard cannot be rope started, correct? Why did it come with a rope, then? Just curious.

Yes, it can be started with a rope and you'll be darn glad you have it someday.. Read the manual or get a manual if you don't have one.

whosmatt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, it can be started with a rope and you'll be darn glad you have it someday.. Read the manual or get a manual if you don't have one.

I do have the factory service manual, though I haven't read it cover to cover.

The owner's manual makes no mention of the rope except to note that it is part of the spare parts. The only other mention of rope in the owner's manual is this: "Tie the clamp bracket to the outboard with a rope."

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer

A lot of people think that you need a battery to start a DFI motor but you don't. It's not something you want to do all the time but in an emergency just put the key in the run position, make sure the saftey lanyard is connected then wrap that rope around the flywheel and give it a yank. If it's capable of starting it will. Once it's running it will produce enough power on it's own to run the oiler, fuel pump and ecu.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

The rope has nothing to do with starting the engine. As bizarre as it sounds, it's supposed to be tied to the engine and then a hard point on the transom in case the engine falls off:) As to a TLDI needing a battery, absolutley true. While the engine will start without a battery or one that lacks sufficent CCA's, the ignition system will NOT energize correctly and it will not operate correctly. This holds true for the Mercury and Yamaha models as well. However, the Evinrude DFI models can start and run without a battery.

whosmatt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The rope has nothing to do with starting the engine. As bizarre as it sounds, it's supposed to be tied to the engine and then a hard point on the transom in case the engine falls off:) As to a TLDI needing a battery, absolutley true. While the engine will start without a battery or one that lacks sufficent CCA's, the ignition system will NOT energize correctly and it will not operate correctly. This holds true for the Mercury and Yamaha models as well. However, the Evinrude DFI models can start and run without a battery.

Thanks! I guess I'll go tell my dealer they forgot something when they installed my motor :D

Davem3

Chief Petty Officer

I do have the factory service manual, though I haven't read it cover to cover.

The owner's manual makes no mention of the rope except to note that it is part of the spare parts.

ALWAYS read the manual front to back , then start again ..............ask me how i know :facepalm:

IllesheimVet

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well, my 2002 Honda 225 had an orange starter rope in the tool pouch.:p I figured they just used the same tool kit on all the engines? ( not only would it be impossible to pull start this thing, the flywheel is on the bottom of the engine).:D