Quick Merc gear question!!! Buying boat please help!!!!

tdrudd87

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi everyone, I've enjoyed reading through the forum so far.

I am looking at a 23' cruiser with a '73 mercruiser 188/888. Ford 302 motor.

When put into forward gear (engine off) the prop it locks into gear with the normal rotation but can be rotated with a ratchety/detent feeling backwards. In reverse gear, it seems to try to catch a gear but can be rotated in both directions.

This is with the motor in full up trim, havent fired it to move it down into a running postion.

Doesn't seem to be normal to me, but Ive only worked on smaller outboards. Anyone think they can guess whats wrong or is this normal?

Thanks,
Terry

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Quick Merc gear question!!! Buying boat please help!!!!

Howdy,

That's a 250cu-in L6 and Mercruiser #1 drive I suspect. Go to the Adults Only sticky in the main forum and download the service manual. You also find all kinds of info there if you haven't had a look...

The prop should feel "ratchety" in the "right" direction when in it's respective gear. I.E. in FWD, you should be able to turn the prop "forward" and feel the shift dogs ratcheting.... and in REV you should be able to turn the prop reverse and feel/hear the clicking.

If you try to turn the prop opposite of the gear you're in, you shouldn't be able to turn it (unless you're strong enough to turn the engine!). If you can (turn it easily), the lower shift cable or main shift mechanism is maladjusted or something is broken internally.

Good luck

Rick

cooter2506

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I agree with Rick. Probably needs a loweer shift cable. BUt I dont know where he got the 250cu-inL6 from!!!!!!!! LOL maybe he is getting tired and is off his meds!!!!!! Also that doesnt seem to be alot of engine for that size boat.

tdrudd87

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks a ton so far guys!

Would anyone be comfortable buying a boat hoping its a cable rather than ground gears in the LU?

As far as power, the hull is rated for 250hp. Its a 23' john allmand citation hardtop, spec weight is 3000lbs for the hull. I had heard of another one of these boats hitting 40ish with a 130hp I6, which would be fine with me and anything else is gravy.

I could be wrong on the outdrive model, but am for sure on the engine. Should hear it run on muffs this afternoon, no lakes around to test drive on though...:rolleyes:

Terry

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I agree with Rick. Probably needs a loweer shift cable. BUt I dont know where he got the 250cu-inL6 from!!!!!!!! LOL maybe he is getting tired and is off his meds!!!!!! Also that doesnt seem to be alot of engine for that size boat.

:eek:I donno either!!!
toothlessgiggler.gif

These threads run together don't they? MEDS.....yeah! That's the ticket!!

By the way,

Not a lot wrong with a 302. 289/302 was probably one of the best SBF's made! (except my 292 Y-block!) Since engine manufacturers haven't used Fords in many years the exhaust parts might be a tad harder to find and a little more expensive. But they're not impossible to keep going!