Questions on full reassembly of '71 Johnson 6hp

ncpi

Seaman
Hi fellow iboaters, looking for some guidance here...

I picked up a basket case (almost completely disassembled) 1971 Johnson 6hp as part of a boat purchase. I was told it was running before disassembly (in 2009 I believe). The fellow took it apart because the shift lever linkage had broken in the exhaust tube. The head on the engine was removed because there was build-up in the water jacket from being used in brackish water (and not being flushed).

Seems like a "fun" project to get it back together, but I had a couple of questions before I start. I also want to spend a limited amount of funds getting this back together as I have no idea how well it will work.

What type of (readily available - like Walmart or an Auto parts store) sealant should I use on gasket surfaces or metal to metal surfaces (I think I read Permatex #3 works)? Is there anything I should use on the the head gasket? Also, what would be recommended for an anti-seize compound on the screws/bolts when I reassemble?

This is the order I was planning on working on it...if I get to a stage and can't get past it I will just use the engine for parts or will part it out.

1. There are a couple broken bolts (with about 1/4" showing) in the power head where it mounts. Also a couple broken screws on the gearcase where the water bypass cover attaches. Any suggestions for removal? I was going to use PB blaster and let it soak for a few days. On the power head I was just use a channel lock pliers or something to grab the stud and trying to twist it out. I will have to use a screw extractor on the gearcase. ugh... Or I may have to drill and re-tap.

2. I was going to check and see if I had spark with the power head to check out the ignition components.

3. Assemble the cyl head to the power head using a new gasket. Then check to see if I had adequate compression. Is there a head bolt tightening sequence pointer? Do I need anything additional to seal the head gasket?

4. Assemble the gearcase (all the gears look good) and install a new water pump impeller. How about the sealant on the gearcase halves? Looking on Marineengine.com there appears to be seal there (#26, but its not listed in the parts list). Is there a type of seal I can use that would be available locally?

5. Assemble the exhaust housing to the lower housing/swivel bracket, etc. then mount the power head, reconnect the throttle, etc, then install the gearcase assy.

Thanks for any advice! Bill

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Questions on full reassembly of '71 Johnson 6hp

I use a product called 3M 847. It's good stuff and you can use it pretty much anywhere a sealant is called for. As for the broken bolts, I have a stud remover (pricey tool) and a good pair of vise grips, (oh ya, a propane torch is a must). I'd suggest a Repair Manual for your motor. It'll have all that info and the torque values, carb settings, ignition set up, etc. Money well spent!