Questions about running 1991 Chevy 4.3 omc

Hey everyone first time poster, I have rebuilt a cracked block 91 4.3. built ground up. Pistons rings, cam, new used block everything checks even turned the engine over ran for less than 5 seconds before shut her down. Question I have is what it's winter here in lower Michigan and really want to test the engine out and break it in potentially. So when spring comes I can just throw it back in the boat and go. I want to see if it's safe to throw a thermostat and an engine thermostat housing that would just have the inlet and outlet for radiator with a radiator and turn it into a 4.3 s10 engine per say.... I don't have exhaust manifolds accessible currently and worried about the omc exhaust risers having some issues without running them water spraying them. I'm not to experienced with marine exhaust and wondering if anyone has any ideas. Is it fine to run a closed loop cooling system in the stand and let the exhaust run out the risers? Thoughts? Should I just grab some 4.3 stock manifolds and run the closed loop system? I don't have the lower hooked to the engine so in my mind it's like running a 4.3 out of the engine bay?? Am I crazy 🤣🤣🤣 let me know lol. Thanks ks for any help anyone can give.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... You can't "Break in" a motor without a load on it,....
It just don't work that way,....

If you want to start it for a few seconds, to see it start, go for it,..... dry,......

Last edited:
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... You can't "Break in" a motor without a load on it,....
It just don't work that way,....

If you want to start it for a few seconds, to see it start, go for it,..... dry,......
Ahh ok how about just running it without the load then to put it blunt, I'm not 100% confident in my engine rebuilding skills 😂 and wanted to just run it idle and maybe get it up to 2k rpm for a while let the engine run to temp and check that everything works as expected. That's not to say I won't throw a rod through the block the instant I put the lower back on and put it under load but the engine is just sitting in the garage yelling at me to fire it up 😭 I have fired it up and it sounds good no funny sounds but was was 5 seconds with no water flow. Hence why I wanted to change out the inlet and throw a radiator inline that I have set up in the garage to keep the engine cooled. Think it will be safe to run the exhaust risers without water spraying through them? I read somewhere that the water in the exhaust risers is just to dampen the exhaust noise and will not affect the risers. But it worries me l, because obviously regular engine manifolds are straight steel not cast and can Def handle the heat differently. What you think?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... I wouldn't, as ya run the risk of glazing the cylinders, but it's yer motor,.....

Don't run the manifolds dry, they'll crack,.....
Use the ones off the S10, or none at all,.....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Pull the plugs, spray some oil in the cylinders. Then come march. Have it in the boat and break it in under load