Questions about Joe Reeves WOT timing

jsalz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello all I have a 74 50HP Johnson 50ESL74M,
I just rebuilt carbs, installed new ignition coils etc. and wanted to check my timing. Couple of questions about Joe Reeves method.

1. The procedure says "have the s/plugs out, and have the throttle at full" and later says "Crank the engine over and set the spark advance to 4? less than what the engine calls for".
Question: I can't crank my engine with the throttle at full. It needs to be started with the idle leaver up and the throttle in neutral" What do I do?

2. My motor calls for 19 degrees timing at WOT, primary pickup location C (Center of the mark on the cam) and notes to loosen the clamp on the throttle shaft and move the roller to meet the cam.
Question: I'm a little confused here. Am I mixing up a lync and sync with setting the timing up at WOT or is it the same thing? I have not used a timing light before. Do I adjust the timing arm until I get 14 degrees on the light.

3. I have not adjusted the low speed needle valve yet. I was going to do it in the lake this weekend. I did start it up on muffs with the needles lightly seated and backed out 1 and 1/2 turns. I only ran it for about 10 seconds but it appeared to stay running with very minimal throttle. Should I fine tune the idle before looking at the timing.

I do have a manual but not an OEM version. It covers a range of johnson motors. So far it has been pretty good but it is confusing when it comes to setting up timing.

Thanks for looking at my long winded post.

Thanks for your help.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Questions about Joe Reeves WOT timing

disconnect the big red plug. and use a remote starter switch, or jump the solenoid.

Randyg123

Petty Officer 1st Class

1. I just disconnected my throttle linkage and wired the timing advance lever tight against its stop.

2. This is a part of the link-n-sync, I don't think you have to worry about the cam at this point (you've already forced the timing to its full setting).

3. Since the engine isn't running in this WOT-adjustment phase, the carb adjustment doesn't matter. But when it comes to adjusting the carbs, you probably should have the timing at least close.

If you had an OEM manual all this confusion would be cleared up (kind of). I agree, the after-market manuals are very confusing because they handle so many different models. Plus I found the timing settings offered in my Clymers was not correct anyways. Go iBoats Forum!!!!!

Hope this helps ;-)

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Have the spark plugs removed, engine set to the full throttle/full spark advance position.

Using a small jumper wire OR preferably a regular push button starter switch, jump from the battery cable terminal of the starter solenoid to the small 3/8" nut of the solenoid that energizes the solenoid. That will bypass the neutral safety switch that interferes with the starting circuit.