Questions about Force 50hp with timing key issues

wiguy85

Cadet
Have 85 50hp outboard that has been snapping keys. Replaced with new coils (old ones were cracked) and got some extra keys but believe they were crappy non case hardened keys. Ordered three oem ones. Seems to be still happening. It starts and runs fine but on shutdown when the motor stops and gives a lil compression kickback like engines do, it seems to shear the halfmoon part off. I'm wondering if this might be something with ignition system/timing? Tune up kit i can get for $70 but really dont want to. I believe buddy lapped the shaft and crank alittle but not sure how well he did and if he torque the flywheel down enough, looks like it could be lapped better. Bringing a torque wrench home from work to get it to 100 ftlbs. So would lapping crank and torque be the problem or ignition/timing issues? Seems to be only when engine comes to stop.

Thanks

Mike

wiguy85

Cadet
Re: Questions about Force 50hp with timing key issues

Also, could anyone give me info on checking or setting point gap and all before i crank flywheel down? Want to make sure thats all good and nothings messed up with the points,gap, and the rockers for the points. Thanks

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Try again lapping the flywheel and crank together. Use fine lapping compound or abrasive sink cleanser. Coat the shaft with a bit of it (if you use cleanser, mix it into a paste in oil). Now set on the flywheel and rock it back and forth 10-15 times. Turn it 90 degrees and rock it again. Do this until you have marched it all the way around the crank. you probably will need to add more compound in between.

Now clean everything. Using a soft pencil scribe a couple of vertical lines on the crank every 90 degrees. Set the flywheel on the crank and spin it. You should rub off at least 85% of the lines.

Set in the key and torque the flywheel to 95 foot pounds.

Points are set to .020 open. Be careful to set them equally as a difference of only .0015 is one degree timing difference. If your flywheel does not have timing marks, find top dead center through the plug hole and mark the flywheel at 0 and 180 degrees. Then check timing on each cylinder.

wiguy85

Cadet

Thanks, planning on dong the lapping friday. As far as the points and ign go. Do i put on cyl to TDC and check gap on other cyl and see if its 0.020 and is this adjustable or how does that work? Never had to mess with ign components on outboard like this! Just want to make sure those things are good before put back together. Think these problems could also cause this or mostly crank/flywheel?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

A flywheel nut that is too loose will invariably break keys.

You can check if there is a mark on the cam and use it to set the point gap. If not, mark it at the high point and gap each set of points with the rubbing block on the high point.

wiguy85

Cadet

Did the crank and seemed to work fine. Dad was playin around with what seemed to be idle screw onside of engine (the one that adjusts the brackets on side of engine? i believe its the tower shaft and whatever other brackets and linkages there are. I can't remember but looks like its on the same brackets that have a rod going into the stator area??) It brought idle down but still seemed high when we took it out. Went and took it out and seemed fine, then started loosing power. Saw some smoke from under cover, took it off and white engine paint started turning brown around the head area. So obviously its getting hot but was squirting water when we put it in so dont know if it would be pump, it brand new. Could whatever he touched cause the timing to be off, causing this?