question... repowering my boat...

greatestfisherman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
hi all,
I would like some advice on a motor. I Have a 19ft 1982 gradywhite dolphin with a 1994 yamaha 130hp 2 stroke. Im planning on putting a 1994 yamaha 225hp 2 stroke. I checked my manual and my boat has a max engine size of 200hp. What I really need to know is the weight difference. I searched all over the web and am getting all different numbers. Not sure what site info is reliable so im turning to this forum. Anyone have any reliable sites or know the weight of these motors? Also, what do you guys think about putting a 225 on a 19ft? Is it possible or over the top? I do see some 19ft grady tournaments with 200hp so im assuming its fine. I understand that the weight difference shouldn't be much but i just want to make sure and get some professional insight.

and yes i did search this forum for some info but came up with nothing...

thanks in advance

robert graham

Admiral
Re: question... repowering my boat...

My book shows a 225HP V-Max at 539 lbs., 200HP HPDI at 475 lbs., but I doubt the boat will know or care about that weight difference. If your boat says "Max-200HP", better to abide by it, for safety and legal reasons. Have an incident, accident, injuries, and the Marine Patrol writes, "overpowered boat", owner liable, being sued, going directly to jail!;)....but seriously, better to stay within the limits!

greatestfisherman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

man, your killing me with the limits thing... some guy is selling me his motor for a steal.... If my boat is max at 200hp, whats another 25hp, it shouldnt matter should it? According to some sites, their is no weight difference. Can someone verify this?

correction, my boat is a 19' sportsman...

RogersJetboat454

Commander

man, your killing me with the limits thing... some guy is selling me his motor for a steal.... If my boat is max at 200hp, whats another 25hp, it shouldnt matter should it?

Hey....
We're not the ones to argue this point with. It will be what ever official that bags you, or your insurance agent who denies your claim that you argue this with. You're a big boy, and can do what ever you want. Just be aware that most law enforcement, and insurance companies don't turn a blind eye to someone who's gone over their max HP limit....

SparkieBoat

Captain

i doubt he has insurance on a 1982 19' boat. I would never tell some one to over power their boat. but I have done it plenty times and been checked by DNR and never had a word said about it, but just so you know, I have never way way over powered a boat. for example if it was rated for a 90, I would drop a 115 on it in a heart beat. you should inspect your transom very closely and may even want to consider beefing it up some, definitely use a transom saver. you can go to NADA site and look up outboard values, they just happen to include the dry weight of the motor. again I am not suggesting that you do what I would do, you do what you want.

greatestfisherman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

yes i am getting my transom redone to beef it up... my 130 motor is has a 20" shaft and the 225 has a 25" shaft and transom is not in the best of shape.... I do not have any insurance on the boat as sparkie stated, not worth it...

Nada is one of the sites i go by and according to the site, the difference between a 200hp and 225hp is 7lbs... dry weight is 390 - 397... is this site accurate? On other sites its listed as almost 500 lbs...

I wonder if i can get a 200hp cowl to fit a 225hp motor? : )
anyone?

RogersJetboat454

Commander

I'm not talking comprehensive... I'm talking liability.
I'm guessing you don't have that either. I hope nobody gets hurt, and I bet you do too!!! :)

greatestfisherman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am fully aware of the liability... I would just like to know if 7lbs weight difference according to nada is something i should worry about regarding the structual integrity and weight distribution of the boat itself... I just need someone to verify that nada weight info is correct... also, safety wise not speaking of how fast but how the weight difference will cause... thats what my concern is.... regardless of how fast i will be going at WOT, i will not be driving at WOT... that is not a concern....

greatestfisherman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

to the people who have over powered there boats, is 25hp too much of a jump? just curious what u guys think.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

If you can not afford to pay for the liability insurance then my guess you could not afford to pay for someones boat, dock, or hospital bills if you were involved in an incident with you boat. Also My guess is you would not have insurance on your autos if you were not forced to either. Nothing like having to pay for someone else s mistakes

If you would really like to know the weights of certain motors then you should list their model #s. Then some one with one of those motors or with their manuals could give you what they have listed in them. Kind of like Robert did already

SparkieBoat

Captain

well if you hit someone else's boat or dock or anything you will be liable no matter what motor you have...and yes a model number would be important info. I have found the nada site to be pretty accurate so far. 400 LBS sounds about right, 500 sounds high.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

If you look at the Yamaha site they only show owners manuals back to 1998, and those 200 & 225 motors are 520 or so

greatestfisherman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

model# 225txrs

I am not asking for anyone concerns regarding liability issues or safety... I am a responsible driver and i am fully aware of the consequences of my decisions... I will not be going wot on a busy fishing area... just common sense... I just need to know the details regarding the weight differences of the motors...

old motor
model# 130TLRS
according to nada its 357lbs

new motor
model# 225txrs
according to nada its 397lbs
according to other sites its almost 500lbs

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would not do this. This is besides the legal issues.

I did a conversion from a 120hp Force to a 225hp Evinrude. The weight increase of the motor changed the planning characteristics enought that set up just does not run quite perfect. Either it is full throttle or nothing. Also you will need to put balast up front to offset the weight difference. In my case I am looking to go back to the 120! Its both the ride and the cost of fuel!

Just my opinion, hope it helps.

greatestfisherman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks for you input jb... how much was the weight difference on your conversion? what size boat?

thanks,

SparkieBoat

Captain

I own a 1989 20' wellcraft. I had a 200 Johnson on the back of it and it did great, ran out at just over 50 MPH and handled wonderfully. now I know there can be a lot of difference in a 19 and a 20 foot boat, I think the jonny 200 was 455 LBS. you could always take the motor to a large scale and weigh it..most recycling places or public dumps have a scale and would probably be glad to weigh it for you if they are not busy, maybe tip them $5 for their time. but that would end the guessing.

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The 120 force was 275lbs the Evinrude is 455lbs. The boat was a 1991 Bayliner Trophy 2002 walkaround. A bow heavy boat. Hope this helps.

SparkieBoat

Captain

I meant to mention to you that going from a 20" to a 25" shaft motor is a big deal...you could get a jack plate but even then sometimes you still cant get the motor high enough to stop all drag. I have this problem on a boat I own now...need another 2 or 3 inches up...trying to sell my 25" so I can get a 20"

greatestfisherman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Im getting my transom redone to accomedate the 25 inch shaft and horsepower... going to beef it up...