question on engine temp

rsimmons42

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just got off the lake from breaking in a rebuilt on a 2005 225 optimax. Motor seemed to be running fine, when i got off the water took off the cowl and looked over the engine.

I noticed that the starboard side of the engine was quite a bit warmer than the port. I could feel this heat on the fuel rail as well.

I was able to hold my hand on that side of the motor w/o removing it, but would say that if it was much hotter, i wouldn't of been able to hold it on there for longer than 5-8 seconds.

the port side was only warm. I have plenty of water pressure, water temp in the lake was 60.

Ran the motor off and on for 2 hours and traveled 25 miles. Highest RPM was at 5300. longest idle time was 15 minutes.

is there anything that i should be concerned about here.

No alarms went off.

Thanks

rsimmons42

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: question on engine temp

more info, after reading my own post, i made it sound like the starboard side of the engine was real hot. it was not.

i was noticable, but not "alarming"

the times i shut down the engine was between 8-15 minutes during the 2.5 hours of running.

Is there a reason one side of engine would be hotter?

thanks for your help

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Check both Tstats.Make sure they both open at correct temp.Wouldnt worry too much if engine temp ok.Could also be running a little lean on cylinder on star bank.Check plugs on both sides.

rsimmons42

Petty Officer 2nd Class

will pull them this morning and check. I am seeing that they should open at 130.

is the Sierra brand good. thermostat is $30 cheaper than the Mercury/quilksilver

rsimmons42

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: question on engine temp(with photos)

think i found the problem. The thermostat on the port side had a piece of a shell stuck in it. attached is photos.

please give me your input. one photo is of port thermostat, next ones are of both(title of photo is water temp)

Attachments

• port thermostat.jpg
    port thermostat.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 135-140.jpg
    135-140.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 155-160.jpg
    155-160.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 0

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Having something hold a thermostat "open" won't make an engine run hot. Being stuck shut can cause that. Also, when testing thermostats in a hot water you need to "suspend" them to get a more accurate test. Letting them lay on the bottom of the pan means they are subject to the heat of the burner or electric element which is not the same temp as the surrounding water.

rsimmons42

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Silvertip,

I will test again with the thermostats suspended. Thanks for that info.

Silvertip if you had read my post you would have seen that I never said that the engine ran hot. I clarified that one side was warmer than the other. There was enough gap made from the shell to allow water to flow through that thermostat.

My question was based towards why one side of the engine would run hotter than the other.

I tend to believe that the temperature of the engine never reached roughly 130 in order to open the other thermostat, based on the fact that the one that was cooler had an object wedged in it.

I cannot say when the two thermostats were last changed. I have had the boat for about 1.5 years.

Does anyone else that read the post have any input or concerns?

Thanks,

rsimmons42

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK Silvertip,

I tested with the thermostat suspended, it started to open somewhere around 140 and fully open at 165-170.

Input?

The gaskets did not get damaged when I removed the housing. Do i need to replave them?

thanks,

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yours look good.If your worried just compare them to mine that i changed last week.They where stuck half open,so i was lucky.I dont think the P.O changed them for years.You may have seen the pic.Here goes again.

Attachments

• IMG_0304.jpg
    IMG_0304.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 0

rsimmons42

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Aussieflash,

Wow, that is bad. You are very lucky that you didn't loose a engine.

thanks for sharing