Question on 115 evinrude.

jones56

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just bought a 97 bass boat with a 115 evinrude. I took it out a few times and I have noticed oil under the engine cover. It seems to be in front of engine around carbs and it has ran back to rear of engine cover. Where could this be coming from?

jones56

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Question on 115 evinrude.

And it's not oil injected. I mix the oil and gas

64osby

Admiral

You have a bad gasket, loose bolt or leak you need to track. Clean the engine, take it out or run on muffs with the cover off, look for the leak, where it starts from. Tighten, replace or rebuild, leak will be fixed and your all set.

mark1961

Ensign

I just bought a 97 bass boat with a 115 evinrude. I took it out a few times and I have noticed oil under the engine cover. It seems to be in front of engine around carbs and it has ran back to rear of engine cover. Where could this be coming from?

Assuming you are referring to inside the lower engine cover.....

If there are no visible leaks from any of the fuel lines, pump or carbs.....it could be just an accumulation of fuel/oil leaking out from inside the airbox....basically every time you tilt the motor up a small amount will leak out of the carbs into the airbox....it is supposed to be drawn back into the crankcase via the hose at the base of the airbox, check it isnt plugged up and replace the airbox gaskets and you should be good.

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer

Is it dark burnt oil? Exhaust housing/mid section seal could be leaking exhust into main mid chamber and escaping through top at lower cover and runs down outer mid section.