Question for nautiJohn

nautiJohn<br />I have an Arima 17 Sea Ranger that I am repowering with a 90hp Yamaha 4 stroke. Before I do the repower I would like to install a set of Smart Tabs. I figure it would be better to start with the tabs so I get the right prop to start with.<br />The length and hp would suggest a 1290 80 or a 1290 60. I am not sure the design of this boat will accomidate the 12" series. Do you have any experience with this make of boat and if so what would you reccomend?<br /><br />Thanks<br />Baddawg

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner
Re: Question for nautiJohn

snohomishbaddawg;<br /><br />You couldn't pick a shorter name? Just kidding!<br /><br />First, the ST1290-60 will be enough for just about any engine you use on this boat. Kepp in mind that you can adjsut the pressure to suite your needs.<br /><br />I would like to know what you have on the boat (motor) now, and if I can be nosey, why you intend to change the motor. Not that the yamaha 90 isn't a good choice, as it is, but I am curious as to why you are repowering.<br /><br />I believe there is a web site for Arima owners as I had a customer call not too long ago who said that is where he came up with our name. His results and others were good. <br /><br />As for space requirements, you will need 11.5" in width across the bottom edge of the transom to mount the trim plate (if you go to the MoBster Tabs you can get away with 10"), and a space 3/4" by 2" above the center (10.5") of the plate to mount the top bracket. Go to our web site and down load the instructions www.NauticusInc.com just to be clear. <br /><br />The plate size for the ST1290 series is 12"wide x 9" deep and the MoBster Tabs ("Steal the Hole") MT1080 is 10" wide by 9" deep but tappered to 8" wide at the trailing edge.<br /><br />I can not tell you to re-prop before you re-power because the characteristics from one engine to another are vastly different. That is why i would like to know what you have now and why you want to re-power.

Thanks for the info. I am repowering because the crankshaft on my 90hp Johnson doesn't run very well with the break in it. It chewed up the power head pretty good and the cost to rebuild the motor was more than I was willing to put into it. I am not sure the motor was maintained very well to begin with and when I bought the boat last fall it was with a plan to replace the motor with a 4 stroke, the crank problem just forced me to act on the plan. I saw the pic on the Arima boat owners group and heard great things about the tabs, I am hoping to hear from the owner of the boat what size tabs he used ( the picture doesn't look like he used 12" wide tabs). I will let you know what I hear.<br />As for adding the tabs before I put the new motor on I figured I might as well have the boat set up the way I want it before rigging the new motor so that I get the prop that works best with the tabs instead of possibly having to change the prop after the tabs are added. Here is the link to the arima owners group, click on Smart tabs for 17SR to see picks. Arima boat owners group <br /><br />Thanks<br />baddawg

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

baddawg;<br /><br />The other fellow used the ST1290-60 which is what I am recommending for you. Since the actuator pressure can be adjusted to your boat needs, the plate size will only improve the performance on a slightly smaller boat. I do not recommend the the ST980-40 (9"x8") plates, as this will be a comprimise in overall performance. We do have a 10" x 9" plate if you can not use the 12" wide plate.<br /><br />Also keep in mind that a 4 stroke is going to add more weight right on the transom where it will have the most effect in changing the balance. ST1290-60! Also you will be able to increase the pitch at least one step (2") over the normaly recommend prop when using the Smart Tabs. You will not only get more top end but you will turn the engine slower at every MPH which will save fuel and ware. Hole shot will be a non issue. <br /><br />Call if you wish 800-233-0194 - time to go home!