Question about Keeping tubes shining

Jobless Recovery

Petty Officer 3rd Class
We've cleaned the tubes on our 'toon and am very happy with the results. We plan to get a nice shine on them using "Eagle" brand aluminum cleaner (as suggested by some other threads) however, I'm worried if I go through all this effort to get them shinning like a brand new penny, they will just re-tarnish once they get back into the lake. Any ideas on how I can keep them tubes "shinny-penny" looking for a long while? :rolleyes:

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Question about Keeping tubes shining

I'm on my 4th pontoon boat in the last 25 years ago and I long ago concluded that shinny toons aren't worth all the work.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

One quart did 2 coats (Recommended) on my 20' toon with some left over for touch-ups. Took less than an hour for each coat. I also did the transom and ladder while I was at it. You want to make sure not to miss any spots, cause you will see them later on as those areas will oxidize quickly. You can see where I missed the bottom of the transom in the pic below.

image2932.jpg
pencil.png

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Shark hide is what you want, the only problem is that it is a coating so if you dock your boat the bumpers can wear through the coating and that spot will start to oxidize but other than that it is a fabulous product.

Jobless Recovery

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Shark hide is what you want, the only problem is that it is a coating so if you dock your boat the bumpers can wear through the coating and that spot will start to oxidize but other than that it is a fabulous product.

Thatwon't be a problem for us, we trailer ours. Thanks for info.

suprtrkr1974

Cadet

jewler rouge and a high speed buffer. i done mine 2 years ago and have not touched them since and you can still shave in them

Mr Crabbs

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm on my 4th pontoon boat in the last 25 years ago and I long ago concluded that shinny toons aren't worth all the work.

I think someone else said that it 'boogers fish'.

I agree, for me, it's not worth the money or effort. No one has told me that sharkhide is worth the money and effort beyond shiney pontoons. I was told by my Tracker technicians to just clean them with cheap tire cleaner or mineral oil and a rag.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

jewler rouge and a high speed buffer. i done mine 2 years ago and have not touched them since and you can still shave in them
Are they bare naked or did you wax them or put something else on them to shield the aluminum from air?

suprtrkr1974

Cadet

went back with a liquid aluminum polish as a sealer. can pick it up at any local truckstop works great