Question about engine removal?

69rrvert

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am restoring a 1993 Sea Ray 200 BR and need to pull the engine to access the floor better. With all of the interior and bulkhead in front of the engine gone, can the engine be move forward enough to clear the drive shaft and removed without pulling the outdrive? I would like to leave the outdrive on because it has a leak somewhere. This way, I cap the exhaust and launch the boat to see if I can find the leak. Once found, then I would pull the outdrive anyway. Thanks, Steven

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Re: Question about engine removal?

Seems to me, the easiest thing to do would be to pull the outdrive, then the engine, and then put the outdrive back on. With no engine it would only take a couple of minutes. You should even be able to reuse the gaskets. Just a thought. That looks like some project! Good luck.

zbnutcase

Commander

Yes you can remove the engine that way, just lift enough to take the weight off rear mounts and slide off driveshaft. Just don't try to install engine that way!

69rrvert

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the help. I am pretty new here on iboats and it is a great forum. Tons of information on here. Once I find the leak, I will remove the outdrive to replace the gimbal bearing and anything else that looks bad. From there, it will be installed the correct way and lined up. Thanks, Steven