Question about engine HP ?

Tony T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm not sure this is the right section to post this question so moderator do what you have to, move it if it needs to be moved. I was talking to a guy a few days ago and he has a 16 ft Alumaweld jon boat with 25 hp outboard. He's wanting to go up to a 40 hp outboard, I said what is max hp rating for your boat,he said 30 hp and then he said well you can go 10 hp above what the max rating is. My question is, is this true or something he's just heard and took it to be so ?

Tony

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Stay with the rating on the boat. Overpowering a boat is a tricky subject.

Tony T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Stay with the rating on the boat. Overpowering a boat is a tricky subject.
I agree with what your saying, I once worked with a guy that had a 15 ft Skeeter that was rated 80 hp max,he had a 140 hp outboard on it. He said he could only throttle it up to between 1/2 to 3/4 throttle, anything above that the boat got real squirrely handling. The reason I ask the original question was my 2016 Alumacraft 1436 LT is rated 15 hp max and I've been looking for a nice older two stroke 15 hp for it without any luck so far, but I keep coming across 20 hp outboards here lately at a reasonable price, I was just wondering if 5 hp above what my boat is rated for is going to make that much difference in handling ?

Tony

Last edited:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
There is no rule like that, although many boats are rated conservatively, others aren't, so saying that going over the rating by any amount is safe would not be true. Some boats you could go significantly over the rating and it would fine, others are scary with the rated HP.

​And in some locations going over the rated HP is illegal, so you could get fined, in other locations it's not an issue.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Even if its not illegal, if you happen to be involved in any sort of accident, your insurance will likely not cover you if you have a motor rated more than the boat can handle.

Tony T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok guys thanks for the comments, I was curious to know if there was anything to what the guy was saying about 10 hp over, and I'm planning on sticking with my max hp rating, if nothing else for peace of mind.

Tony

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Even if its not illegal, if you happen to be involved in any sort of accident, your insurance will likely not cover you if you have a motor rated more than the boat can handle.

​I've asked the insurance companies about this, none of the ones I talked with said they had ever heard of a claim that had been denied for being over powered, some didn't even care if the boat was over powered, others said if you told them up front they might charge you a bit more, but they were OK with it.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Let me tell you what the insurance companies word is worth. So last year I pulled my dads boat to his cottage.Before I left I called my insurance company to see if the boat was covered by my insurance. The answer I got was as long as it is attached to my truck my insurance would cover it. Well on the way up the trailer got hit and the boat lawn darted into some really nice peoples front yard. It wasn't my fault, the other driver got the ticket, you want to know whose insurance covered it not mine. My insurance denied the claim and this was after they said it was covered. Insurance companies will only do whats best for them you believe them at your own risk. Insurance companies will tell you it's fine as long as the only financial benefit is to them. As long as you make your payments it's fine. The shoe is on the other foot when they have to payout.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
When you insure the boat and you answer the question about the HP on the contract, it's an agreement, and binding. Yours was a question asked about something you hadn't insured yourself, and you didn't have a contract. I can understand why they didn't cover the boat, they would cover liability while you're towing it, but not damages to the boat itself.

Boats and related equipment require a separate contract that covers the specific boat and equipment, I know this from experience.

​My insurance company has been great to deal with, not that I've made many claims, but when I have I've been pleased by the results.

Tony T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Ha! kinda weird three days after I posted this thread and looking for couple months I came across this outboard (pic below) on my local craigslist and bought it. It runs but needs just a little TLC. It's a 1990 Johnson 15hp with electric start model number J15EESR.

Tony

Attachments

• photo270476.jpg
    photo270476.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo270477.jpg
    photo270477.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 0

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
Let me tell you what the insurance companies word is worth. So last year I pulled my dads boat to his cottage.Before I left I called my insurance company to see if the boat was covered by my insurance. The answer I got was as long as it is attached to my truck my insurance would cover it. Well on the way up the trailer got hit and the boat lawn darted into some really nice peoples front yard. It wasn't my fault, the other driver got the ticket, you want to know whose insurance covered it not mine. My insurance denied the claim and this was after they said it was covered. Insurance companies will only do whats best for them you believe them at your own risk. Insurance companies will tell you it's fine as long as the only financial benefit is to them. As long as you make your payments it's fine. The shoe is on the other foot when they have to payout.

Your insurance didn't apply because it was the other driver's liability. Especially since he got the ticket. Same as if he rear ended you. It's his insurance, not yours. If you did something to cause the collision, your insurance would be liable.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Your insurance didn't apply because it was the other driver's liability. Especially since he got the ticket. Same as if he rear ended you. It's his insurance, not yours. If you did something to cause the collision, your insurance would be liable.
NOPE he was uninsured.

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
NOPE he was uninsured.

But it is still HIS liabiliy. Not yours. Hr created the damage. He should pay. Not you. Not your insurance.

The stand up thing the insurance company should have done is cover the expense and then go after the other guy, but I'm sure that depends on policy fine print and laws from state to state.