Quadrajet Secondaries woes - expert needed!

zkurtb

Cadet
Arrrrgh... help needed!

I have scoured the iBoats posts on QJ's and not seen my particular issue - poor running and power when the carb secondaries come into play.

Background: 5.0L OMC with a QJ 4MV model 17059286 on a 21' 1987 bayliner.

When I bought the boat (used) a few years ago it ran fine. While winterizing I thought I'd clean some debris off the carb exterior with cleaner, also sprayed into the vent holes. BAD IDEA. :( Dried the upper gasket and next spring it kinda leaked and ran bad at lower rpms.

So I got a kit and did a rebuild, and now the idle and primaries run great - but the secondaries run like c**p. As soon as the secondaries start to open - the moment the air valve begins to open - it loses power, like bogging, and continues to do so as long as the secondaries are in operation to any degree. To me it seems like they are running lean. No black smoke or fuel smell when the secondaries are open.

I've checked everything I can think of - fuel flow into carb is fine (checked pump inlet vacuum and outlet pressure and flow, all is ok). Fuel filters are clean. Anti-siphon valve is ok. Fuel is clean, no water in it. Float is set plenty high and bowl is full. The secondary jets, fuel wells, and accelerating ports are clean and clear. The Secondary metering rods are installed correctly and move easily as the air valve opens. The air valve opens slowly and smoothly, about how I'd expect it should. I can see fuel going into the secondary bores as the air valve opens.

Timing is correct, firing order is correct, points are set correct. New carb-manifold gasket, which I also checked and is leak free.

I've taken the carb apart a few times to double check things, and put in another rebuild kit, all to no avail. I've scoured the net, read all the manuals and how-to guides, etc, to no avail.

The secondary circuit is pretty simple, I can't for the life of me figure out what is wrong, but something is. Any thoughts welcome. Maybe it isn't the carb, and other ideas welcome - but it sure seems like the carb to me.

Please, let's keep this thread to diagnosing this problem, I'd like to avoid thoughts on replacing with the venerable 1409, and/or the general merits of QJ v Edelbrock v Holley. I'd just like to figure out what the heck is wrong here... :confused:

Kurt

Last edited:

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: Quadrajet Secondaries woes - expert needed!

I'd check first that your compression is solid and that the ignition system up to snuff, and that the base timing is correct and it is advancing correctly before i touch the fuel system.

jtmarten

Master Chief Petty Officer

How do the plugs look? White? Tan? Black?

Aloysius

Chief Petty Officer

The air valve shouldn't open below 3000-3500 rpms. If it is opening early, air velocity isn't adequate to atomize the fuel properly.

jtmarten

Master Chief Petty Officer

What does 'float is set plenty high' mean? Is it within spec? How do you measure 'plenty high'?

zbnutcase

Commander

The secondary's are very simple on a Q-Jet, but one thing that will make them not run is forgetting to reinstall the flat sheetmetal plate that fits in the grooves in the body before you put the airhorn on. That plate, along with the airvalve is what forms the venturi to draw fuel out. Just a thought, as I have seen it happen on DIY rebuilds.

Vanover

Petty Officer 2nd Class

May not be what you want to hear, Qjets are great but can get complicated. I would contact recarbco. They have website with contact info. I did a Qjet on a 3.8 omc, no matter what i did i had the same problem with the secondaries. Called them and for 55 bucks plus shipping they tunned it and tested it. never told me what was wrong but when i got it back, i didn't even have to adjust the idle. Ran better than new. I know it doesn't help, but its an option. These guys are good, real good.

Aloysius

Chief Petty Officer

There's a coiled tension spring that controls the air valve..instructions for tension are in the jiffy kit. Pretty hard to get to on the engine. Personally, I'd go 5/8-3/4 turn on the spring..too much tension is better than too little.

ShadowB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'd agree with zbnutcase, QJet secondaries are very simple and something is being overlooked. I agree with JustJason as well. My experience is when it comes to the secondardies on a QJet the first place to look is in the the vacccum advance system or the pump. The plate zbnutcase mentioned will diffinately cause an issue. But be sure the accelerator pump is correctly measured and travel linkage is in the right hole. Then make sure there's enough vaccum to advance the timing, using a MtyVac is best. The right timing won't matter if it's not advancing and yes the float height does matter especially when you load er' up. I've been racing with QJet's for years and they are very simple but they will run rich so you do have to dot the i's and cross the t's.

Aloysius

Chief Petty Officer

There is no vacuum advance on marine units.

Rich is good..max power is about 13:1, and rich mixtures keep the engine cool.

If you see the air valve opening with the engine in neutral, it is opening WAY too soon!

BaileysBoat

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You guys are good, agree with all the advice. One more thing to check is the power valve. This was the only real weakness in the QJ. You can take a small slotted screwdriver and gently push on the top of the valve, accessible through the vent stack. Should have a full range of motion. Do this with the engine off.

And zbutnutcase is very perceptive about the sheet metal plate/venturi action.

One more thing, the dashpot or vacuum break if equiped has a linkage running to the AV. There is an adjustment here. The vac break should be fully depressed at idle. test with the mighty vac. It will delay/optimize AV opening

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

check the vacuume pot, it should not only hold vacuume ,it should release slowly, if it releases fast the orifice is missing. this is very important. also check the setting on the air valve spring. good luck:)

zkurtb

Cadet

Thank you all for the many replies!

Have not yet tested the compression JustJason - but since it ran fine before the rebuild, could this really be an issue? Same question with ignition system and timing - was working fine before the rebuild, so... Haven't had time to play with it but will have a look at the plug color when I can.

The timing advance (mechanical only as mentioned by Aloysius) is working properly.

The sheetmetal plate in the secondary bores mentioned by zbnutcase is in place - never took that out. But a great thought.

Bt Doctur thanks for the links - I did run across the Forida4x4 sites in my research, but not the boatfix pdf. The following link is one of the best I found for detailed description of QJs internals
http://www.bdub.net/manuals/Quadrajet_Service_Manual_1981.pdf

Aloysius, I didn't mess with the AV (air valve) spring tension, left that alone, my rebuild was mostly cleaning, and install new parts that came in the kit - accel pump, float valve, gaskets, etc. But I will look into it.

The accel pump is working well, healthy strong squirts, and linkage is in the same (inner) hole as before I started the orig rebuild. I did check the power valve, it moves as it should - and anyway isn't that more for the primaries?

Float height was to spec, then to eliminate possibilities, thinking maybe the secondary jets were starving, I also tried with it set higher then spec - as high as possible but not to the point of flooding - but it made no difference.

The AV dashpot (vacuum selenoid) does seem to do as I would expect - but maybe it is opening too soon. I will look into this further. The secondaries AV does start to open when revving in neutral, but I didn't think that was wrong, it seems they will do so on well tuned QJs, have a look at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYq4xY9xCoc
where the secondary AV does just that. So does it really need 3000-3500 rpms to open the AV as suggested by Aloysius?

Vanover, I have heard of recarbco, in fact spoke to them about a rebuild but they were too pricey. But wasn't aware they would do a tune, if all else fails I will talk to them about that.

I am in the fortunate position of having another boat (wellcraft 5.7L) that also has the same QJ model carb that is working ok. When I get a chance - to confirm it really is the carb - I will swap the carbs and see if the wellcraft carb solves the problem on the bayliner. That should answer the questions about compression/ignition/etc. Nothing like the good ole process of elimination...

Again, thank you all for the help, what a great community.
Kurt

Last edited:

zkurtb

Cadet

Well, I did the carb swap, same problem. So it's not the carb, which is good news, means I did the rebuild ok. Since I'd checked the rest of the fuel system, that leaves ignition as JustJason suggested in the first place.

So, this is embarrasing :redface: The one thing I didn't do - and should have done as the first step - was to check the plugs as jtmarten suggested. They were completely fouled - blackened and a bit wet-oily-dirty. Changed the plugs and it runs perfectly. Sheesh, I should have know better.

I forgot to mention that she'd backfire a bit too when the secondaries were in use - that should have been an important clue.

So, mystery solved. I didn't think about the plugs because it ran fine on the primaries - smooth acceleration and no missing. So, it's a bit of a mystery why the plugs only acted up when the secondaries were in operation. I believe they were reacting to the additional fuel charge and consequent internal pressures - couldn't spark properly when the cylinders really filled up. And likely the secondary mixture is richer than the primaries which hampered sparking as well.

I take back all the harsh thoughts I had about Quadrajets. And the silver lining - I've gotten really good at disassembly and reassembly...

Thanks again all for the help.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Since I'd checked the rest of the fuel system, that leaves ignition as JustJason suggested in the first place.

I didn't suggest that in the first place. I suggested doing a compression check first. Then followed by looking over the ignition system only after a good compression check.
If you've got a dead cylinder, say a bad intake valve, the engine may still run fairly well, but since the intake vacuum will not be correct at this point, a carb won't operate 100%