Quadrajet Secondaries Problem

dubs283

Vice Admiral
the one, and only one, marine service that works on old/older boats, doesn't do re-jetting.

If this statement is true as pertaing to your local area then the marine service in question isn't a marine service

I work on old/older boats. Boats/engines from 1955 through present day and I've removed and replaced many carburetor jets

Either learn to rebuild a qauadrajet yourself or find a real marine service

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Just learned, online, that there are still Q-Jets, in original packaging. Apparently it is no longer being made, but there are both new and rebuilt ones on the market. I just checked Amazon and they sell new ones.

Anyway, it does state on their website, "NEW" for the Q-Jet we bought and that word "NEW" is also on the packing list that came with it from UPS. Now, if it's not new, isn't the company taking a chance of being sued for false advertising?
The Q-Jet we bought from them in June 2016 was stated as "rebuilt" and we paid $199 for it. This "new" cost us $349. Now, I have no idea where they got a "new" one from, but from both their website and paperwork sent with the Q-Jet, it is new.
In fact, the marine mechanic told us he has a new Q-Jet in the shop, but it would cost us some $900, so we said we buy our own.
This is the detail on the new qjet on national carbs website. Its is an aftermarket carb. So yes it is new but it is not a NOS rochester made carb, if ot was it would be 2-3 the price

Attachments

• IMG_0397.png
    IMG_0397.png
    387.6 KB · Views: 6

tpenfield

Staff member
@LuvBoating

A quick question. . . While living in FL, did you run the boat in salt water?
I assume the engine is raw water cooled (?) :unsure:
I am wondering if the exhaust manifolds and associated gaskets have been inspected/replaced?

Last edited:

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
i love the way shops say > it needs this changed , replace that , work needs done on that ,etc , etc .
why not just say >> the bill you get for all that is going to send my kids to collage for the year.
does it not make people ask the question "" how does a distributor fail sitting doing nothing"" .
shops take advantage of customers that they know will be loyal to them as these customers are usually just going to pay without question..

NEWS FLASH ! , shops are no longer loyal to customers , its all about cash flow! $950 for a $350 carby should reflect that.

OP as posted , the fuel system probably just needs a good flush , boats that sit often just need that and nothing more , >> ask the question why would a set of plugs fail.

i recon the shop is taking advantage of you, but hey its your money being spent , not mine.

Last edited:

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Ok I looked at that closely
And what I noticed
They show pix of every angle and where the traditional Rochester Quadrajet logo is (by the throttle linkage area), nothing!
I heard that Sierra was making these some years back to the OP is it stamped Sierra anywhere?
If so it’s an aftermarket copy. Good? Who knows?
What I REALLY don’t like is they list carburetor manufacturer as Rochester. Change that to “designer & original manufacturer”.

Bondo

Staff member
Ok I looked at that closely
And what I noticed
They show pix of every angle and where the traditional Rochester Quadrajet logo is (by the throttle linkage area), nothing!
I heard that Sierra was making these some years back to the OP is it stamped Sierra anywhere?
If so it’s an aftermarket copy. Good? Who knows?
Ayuh,.... My guess is, chineseum castin' copies,....

LuvBoating

Senior Chief Petty Officer
@LuvBoating

A quick question. . . While living in FL, did you run the boat in salt water?
I assume the engine is raw water cooled (?) :unsure:
I am wondering if the exhaust manifolds and associated gaskets have been inspected/replaced?
Yes, while living in Jacksonville, we had the manifolds/risers replaced. When we bought the boat, we were told that there was a small crack in one that had been covered with JB Weld.
The boat was originally sold in the state of Washington and was on the Sound there. A Navy Lt. Commander sold it to us, but since we bought it in early 2009, we've put quite a bit of money into it, including a new engine block and in parts inside the outdrive.
Before we had it transported here to northern Colorado in 2019, we changed the outdrive anodes from saltwater to fresh, but didn't give a thought about the carburetor. The marine mechanic we used (most of the time) in Jacksonville didn't think about the carburetor either, because he had never worked on a boat going to Colorado elevations. Two years ago, we changed the prop as well.

LuvBoating

What ever brand the Q-Jet is, it is new, but aftermarket. On National Carburetors website, and in their store, that I've been in, they do sell both new and rebuilt/remanufactured carburetors and the price difference shows that.
The first Q-Jet we bought from them, it took them a week to rebuild/test and it was a rebuilt/remanufactured one. The one we bought this time, it took them one day to test and ship to us. They do have a great reputation!

LuvBoating

As far as the marine service we use now, they are a very respected one and service a lot of boats, and I do mean "a lot". They are the ONLY marine service, within miles and miles, that will service older boats. That's why we go to them.
Not to get too off-topic, but, unfortunately, they have no way of disposing of old gas, like our previous Jacksonville, FL service did. So, all we can do is try and use up the old gas as much as possible. At our age (mid 70's), we physically can't do it. We tried once.
It really seems as if so many boat owners have their own idea of how much gas should be left in the tank when a boat is winterized. We were topping it off, but was told we didn't need to do that by a lady that has been working in the service department for numerous years, where we service our boat now.
Anyway, different boaters have different ideas.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
I thought this sounded familiar. Fwiw, someone should pay me out for the 10:1 odds I was giving last year 🙄

tpenfield

Staff member
Not to get too off-topic, but, unfortunately, they have no way of disposing of old gas, like our previous Jacksonville, FL service did. So, all we can do is try and use up the old gas as much as possible. At our age (mid 70's), we physically can't do it. We tried once.
It really seems as if so many boat owners have their own idea of how much gas should be left in the tank when a boat is winterized. We were topping it off, but was told we didn't need to do that by a lady that has been working in the service department for numerous years, where we service our boat now.
Anyway, different boaters have different ideas.
If you don't use your boat much, which it sounds like, your best approach would be to keep less gasoline in the boat.

Topping off the tank for winter storage is a 20th century myth and really not necessary. With little boat usage, it leads to running on old gasoline, which clouds any mechanical issue.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
I clicked the link nolamike posted and read the broad strokes there. Seems luvboating just wants to argue.

First guess from the older thread is the carb needs rebuild, can't do that. Second is secondaries aren't opening properly/at all, can't check that. Third is timing isn't advancing, won't check that or hasn't. Fourth is compression issue, won't check that. Pretty sure a majority of continual posters here would have figured out the issue long ago had they had access to the boat, a shop and tools/equipment. My guess is the boat doesn't exist or luvboating will never get the issue resolved

I'm gonna take advantage of a dead thread to share my day with you folks:

Heading to the shop in about an hour to remove a 260 v8 t bolt/quadrajet engine and gather some bits I bought off a guy. Boat has been sitting uncovered outside for who knows how long. He wants to see the motor run before I pull it.

Last night I put a battery in, cranked the motor, cranks great. Check spark next, great spark. Pumped throttle, water in accelerator pump well, ugh. Okay, purged water and fed float bowl with fuel. Pumped throttle, fuel! Yay!

Cranked engine, popped off, yay! Hooked up remote tank and filled water sep. Muffs on, cranked, engine fired and ran. Set throttle at 1200, rpm up and down but pumps water from alpha through motor, yay! Motor dies, boo!

Only way to get motor to run is by feeding fuel through the vent, won't pull from remote tank. Visual on fuel pump I see some silicone/jb weld drippage from bottom, ugh

Power tune down the vent with a splash of fuel, has been sitting for 10 hrs now. I don't care if the motor stays running, he just wants the long block to swap a broken block on an indmar mefi 2 controlled engine, ugh

I want the untouched quadrajet, and maybe the old school t bolt module, y pipe, ex manifolds/risers and anything else I can think of while I'm there. Time to gather clean, older oem parts!

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
The solution to the boat repair place that doesn’t want to change carb jets for an engine running at 5,000 ft altitude may be to find a shop that restores classic cars. Any one of them will be totally familiar with a Quadrajet they were on nearly everything GM made from 1966 up. Only the highest performance versions had Holleys. The majority were QJets. That boat shop just doesn’t want to learn anything outside their comfort zone. And again, the OP should join the forum at Cliffs High Performance QJets. Explain the problem and he will get an answer. Take that info to a classic car shop & have them do the work. It’s isn’t rocket science. All the info about what jets these carbs came with is out there. The problem with any reman or new aftermarket carbs is that they usually are not set up for the engine you have like the original carb was.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
@LuvBoating your issue is you have a complete fuel system overhaul needed. With your tank full of 3 seasons of old goo that used to be fuel needs to be addressed. You need your fuel tank drained, mechanically cleaned and them chemically cleaned, your original carb needs to be cleaned by someone who knows carbs. Your tank strainer and anti-siphon valve will need to be addressed. It's going to be a lot of work

You need to use the boat more often. Try to keep fuel use up so the oldest fuel in the tank is only 3-6 months old. Or sell the boat and rent one for the 1 or 2 times a year that you want to go boating .

@nola mike good catch from 2022. Don't have enough beer for the 10:1 odds

@dubs283 the only magic wand.....once the fuel system is overhaulled the OP needs to use the boat often

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
That, or a REALLY GOOD classic car restoration place or a speed shop.
Here on Long Island we have SK Speed in Lindenhurst NY.
When I go here to buy stuff I’m in hot rod heaven. As a kid I grew up watching street racing in Brooklyn NY everyone knew how to rejet a Holley, QJet or Carter.

The OPs other option since he has a Merc rigged engine is a NEW Edelbrock 1409. However it still might need re-jetting for 5,000 ft altitude use. I’d contact Edelbrock first if thinking of going that way.
The oldest gas I ever used was stabilized E-10 1.5 years old it was fine; I try not to use anything older than a year. I store the boat with whatever is left in it at the end if the season. When I dump out the fuel filter the gas looks perfect I just put it in my lawnmower gas can! And this boat is stored outside in a damp climate all year. Last time I had the QJet apart it was like new clean inside. I know E10 causes problems & I do drain the carb & tank on our little water taxi motor (Suzuki DF2.5). Much less problems that way.

Last edited:

LuvBoating

@LuvBoating your issue is you have a complete fuel system overhaul needed. With your tank full of 3 seasons of old goo that used to be fuel needs to be addressed. You need your fuel tank drained, mechanically cleaned and them chemically cleaned, your original carb needs to be cleaned by someone who knows carbs. Your tank strainer and anti-siphon valve will need to be addressed. It's going to be a lot of work

You need to use the boat more often. Try to keep fuel use up so the oldest fuel in the tank is only 3-6 months old. Or sell the boat and rent one for the 1 or 2 times a year that you want to go boating .

@nola mike good catch from 2022. Don't have enough beer for the 10:1 odds

@dubs283 the only magic wand.....once the fuel system is overhaulled the OP needs to use the boat often
There is no way we can get the fuel out of the tank and have the tank cleaned. Please, please note the two words just said "no way". We can try to use up as much of the gas that's in it when we get the boat back, but draining the tank and cleaning it, just isn't going to happen.
Every part on the Q-Jet carb we now have is 100% clean and new. A highly qualified marine mechanic, who has worked on our boat before, told us that. And, we totally believe him!
He is going to call National Carburetors in Jacksonville, Florida and get some information about the Q-Jet we just bought and is now on the boat engine.
This mechanic, who has worked on our boat since October 2019, told just how good the boat starts and runs. He said, "this boat hasn't started and engine ran this good since I first worked on it."

LuvBoating

That, or a REALLY GOOD classic car restoration place or a speed shop.
Here on Long Island we have SK Speed in Lindenhurst NY.
When I go here to buy stuff I’m in hot rod heaven. As a kid I grew up watching street racing in Brooklyn NY everyone knew how to rejet a Holley, QJet or Carter.

The OPs other option since he has a Merc rigged engine is a NEW Edelbrock 1409. However it still might need re-jetting for 5,000 ft altitude use. I’d contact Edelbrock first if thinking of going that way.
The oldest gas I ever used was stabilized E-10 1.5 years old it was fine; I try not to use anything older than a year. I store the boat with whatever is left in it at the end if the season. When I dump out the fuel filter the gas looks perfect I just put it in my lawnmower gas can! And this boat is stored outside in a damp climate all year. Last time I had the QJet apart it was like new clean inside. I know E10 causes problems & I do drain the carb & tank on our little water taxi motor (Suzuki DF2.5). Much less problems that way.
We will be putting the boat out on local lake one more time, before having it transported to a Boat Storage in Henderson, Nevada. So, don't have to worry about the elevation anymore.