QD 17 overheats

Greg O.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I replaced the impeller on mine last winter as well as other work. When I tested it it would pump at speeds above idle but no water at idle. I knew something wasn't right. Turned out that on assembly the water tube did not go into the upper grommet propperly. Reassembled it after re seat the grommet, and it pumped water gangbusters. Getting everything to line up on reassembly can be challenging.

Last edited:

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Marine grease can be your friend here. Do not try to do it dry. It will pinch, restricting flow. Grease the copper water line, and around inside the grommet, so that while you are raising up the gearcase, the water line slides in smoothly, not jerking, causing an issue. Also, don't be cheap. If the grommet is swollen, damaged, etc... toss it is the darn garbage and buy a new one!

Grease your line, and all will be fine. Patent Pending.

Greg O.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When I pulled mine apart, I descovered I didnt have the new grommet seated propperly. I used a small socket and extension to reach in there to place and seat the grommet. It is a little tricky.

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If water tube comes out with the pump it must be removed from the pump .---Then installed in the upper grommet.----Lining up the lower part of the tube with the outlet of the pump is easy.