Q4 seat problem, continually sliding back and forth, won't lock - located broken bolt

Whitey72

Seaman Apprentice
Hello All,
Again I am seeking wisdom. My recently purchased 2006 q4 has a dodgy drivers seat that continually slides forward and back and the adjustment / locking lever(left side) has trouble holding in place. Bit nerve racking when you get under her and the seat goes tearing backwards. I had a good look today and the spring at the rear of the adjusting bolt with the notches to lock in place has come out from frame and is now spinning between the frame and washers. A further look also located the end of that long bolt wit the notches and handle on the other end has broken off about 1" in. Looks like it is white metal as well so I guess welding it back together is out of the question one I work out how to remove.

First question - does anybody know how to pull the seat out and apart so it can be worked on easily? Secondly, does anybody know where a replacement adjustment bolt can be purchased in either Australia or the USA, even if someone has a wrecked boat lying around I'm happy to pay a fair price and postage to Australia as there's none down here.

Any help is greatly appreciated as Tracker aren't helpful and I can't find any brand on the seat mounts to chase aany other company and I'm stuck without a replacement.

Cheers Geoff "Whitey" White
2006 Q4 SF
4.3l 190hp

yourboatmyboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Q4 seat problem, continually sliding back and forth, won't lock - located broken

at the seat base where it is on the pedistal , on the forward lower base will be a black knob that one needs to pull straight forward while pulling up on the seat. . The knob will turn from side to side which will not unlock the seat, it must be pulled straight and hold out while pulling up the seat with the other hand.

Whitey72

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Q4 seat problem, continually sliding back and forth, won't lock - located broken

Thanks for the reply, but my seat must be a different model as there is no black knob. I got it apart after a bit of work and here's a photo of the broken fore/aft adjustment shaft that I have to replace. Looks like it's made from white metal so welding is out of the question. I sent an email to Garelick asking if they will sell just the replacement part I need. Believe it or not someone had left the installation manual in the pedistal and it's a model #23000.
Cheers
GeoffView attachment 1272View attachment 127299

Attachments

• broken end closeup.JPG
    broken end closeup.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 0

Whitey72

Seaman Apprentice

Hello All,

Well I fixed the problem with a bit of tinkering as I never heard back from Garelick re a replacement. If this ever happens to anybody else an easy and reliable fix is to cut off the end where the spring sits over, drill a hole down the centre carefully and tap it for a 1/4 inch threaded rod. Screw in with some locktight and cut to length and then also slid a piece of copper tube over the threaded rod for the spring to seat on correctly and fit all. It works a treat as I fitted all on Saturday and was out on the boat on Sunday having a ball and all works great.
Cheers
Whitey