putting floor back help please

bolo789

Petty Officer 1st Class
hello everyone, i am helping a friend putting back the floor he cut out, i know he is doing it wrong, thats why i need some info for him.<br /><br />first the boat was water log, so we cut out a large square piece of the floor, from the driver seats back to the transom.<br /><br />we took all the water log foam out, the stringer is not made of wood it like plastis or like fish well, so nothing was rot. the floor we cut out was water soak and could not be reused, so we put back new floor board, <br />now this is where we got stuck, what is the stuf we need to get to put back on top of the floor wood to make it match up with the original floor??<br /><br /><br />epoxy resin ect all that inf we need thanks, the original floor was the wash down type, thanks guys for any info.

Eggkr8

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: putting floor back help please

Hey Bolo,<br /><br />Not to sound like a butthead, but you might wanna re-read this post. I read it twice and can't figure out what you got going on. Maybe use better ventilation when you are working with the resin? :) <br /><br />Pictures always help

bolo789

Petty Officer 1st Class

lol lol man, ok here goes try make it simple.<br /><br />as i stated above, we did all what we need to doo already, cut out the floor put back new foam, new ply wood. now how do we get back the floor to join and match up with the un cut floor, <br /><br />i am going to try post some pic .<br /><br />and stop making fun off me man lol

Terry Olson

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like it's time to join the new material with the old. I'd do this using fiberglass but guys with more experience might suggest you use epoxy resin with the glass material rather than typical fiberglass resin. Use several layers, each wider than the last until you have tapered the sides to the new floor. Work carefully - time and care spent doing the layup will save a lot of work later on to get a relatively smooth finish. I'd say you'll need 3 or 4 layers to for strength. Don't forget to coat the top of the new floor with resin to seal it. From there you can install carpet, non-skid paint, or whatever your preference is to hide the work that's been done and give a good finished look.

Realgun

Commander

Actually it might be better to cut the remaining floor to match the hull edges. Then tie the new floor edges into the hull. You will get a stronger and better joint than butting wood together and slathering fiberglass over the top.

Terry Olson

Chief Petty Officer

I agree with Realgun - I thought we were talking about the entire floor with just a bit left at the edges of the hull but now that I re-read the post I see this isn't the case. If you don't cut it back to the edges you'll have a bump where you patch between the old and the new. When that seam is along the edges it can be hidden pretty well, but not so in the middle of the floor.<br /><br />I haven't worked with epoxy resin, just the old style fiberglass resin, but from what I've read it's the way to go - like jze1212 did.<br /><br />Good luck with it.

brownies

Chief Petty Officer

Use the same thickness of new floor material as the old floor will help.

nick.wright

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, I've read this topic and souds like something I'll have to tackle in the near future. If I read correctly, you guys are saying is better to replace the whole floor rather than have a joint in the center? Realgun, exactly how do you tie the new floor with the hull if not removing the entire floor to the hull side? Does anyone have any pics or diagrams to explain this process? As for cutting out my old floor, I was thinking of using a router with a cutting bit (with floor guides of course) and I won't be able to remove the entire floor. A couple of inches will be left around hte side of the boat and the transom from the router mbase.

bolo789

Petty Officer 1st Class

yea glad to know you guys kinda understand what i was saying.<br /><br />well if it was my boat i would have done it the right way, because i read alot on this forum, and i told him but he just dont listen, he just like to take the short cut out on everything,<br /><br />this is what he plan on doing. the old floor he cut out the plywood was badly water soak, so he took the old top layer fiberglass layer from it and is trying to glue it back on top of the new plywood, <br /><br />i told him no it will look real sloppy and wobbly ect. but he would not listen,<br /><br />yesterday he try to do it and it was so sloppy he just quit and call a auto body work guy, so now the guy is going to do the job, for him, i wil let you guys know how he make ou,<br /><br />the boat is a 1978 tiara 255 fishing boat.