Purging Oil Line 40hp 2005 Johnson Help

hertel11

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The other day my Low Oil light came on and beeped. I added oil to my remote oil tank and all was well I thought. Now 2 trips later my NO OIL light keeps coming on and beeping. The manual says to purge the oil line of air but doesn't really give a good procedure how to do so. How should this be done properly to stop the NO OIL alert from coming on and to be sure my motor is actually getting oil?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
If it's an OMS pump you need to disconnect the oil line from the bottom of the pump and manually pump 12-16 oz out of the line. Then start the motor without the oil line connected and wait for the no oil beep to start. When it beeps reconnect the oil line, do not pump the primer ball, and wait for the alarm to stop and clamp the line. This will work a 2 strk carb motor which I am guessing is what you have.

hertel11

Petty Officer 3rd Class
ok thanks. When I do this do I need to be using oil mixed in with the gas or will it be ok with straight gas for the short time it would take to do this procedure

hertel11

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thank you. I got it taken care of. Got a portable tank and used 50:1 mix just to be safe. Unhooked oil until NO OIL light came on. Pumped about 12oz out of oil line and hooked back up. NO OIL light turned off and I was able to run it another 5 min or so at various rpms without the NO OIL warning coming back on.