Purchasing first bimini top, which material?

detroit_fan

Seaman Apprentice
Looking at the iboats selection of bimini tops there are many materials to choose from, are any of them "best", or a better choice than the others? I'm just not familiar with the types of material listed. thanks.

cptrick3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Everyone seems to say they are similar or as good as sunbrella . What does that tell you?

Mikejr

Seaman
I think Sunbrella is the best known brand, but I've never seen any evidence based posting to support it. That said, i'm going to order based on iBoats featuring it as their premium product for my bimini.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
It's expensive, but canvas holds up much better than Sunbrella

detroit_fan

Seaman Apprentice
How long could i reasonably expect the sunbrella to last? boat stored indoors, out in the sun and freshwater(Erie) maybe twice a week for 6 months out of the year?

Also, do most of you use the aluminum or stainless steel bars? I'm assuming aluminum has to be put down to cruise, does SS?

Last edited:

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Just don't think you're doing yourself a favor by specifying SS tubing. It's too heavy and aluminum holds up just fine. BTDT

robert graham

Admiral
My 1999 vinyl coated acrylic Sunbrella Bimini top is pretty much like new.....when the Bimini top is not up I keep the boot on it for protection from weather/UV....

detroit_fan

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks, I'll get the sunbrella. How fast can you go with top up with aluminum frame?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Having has both aluminum and stainless there is now way I would ever choose aluminum.... Stainless is soo much stiffer, stronger, and as a bonus it looks better.... Aluminum gets dull but stainless stays shiny.

hostage

Lieutenant
I like my Sunbrella bimini I got from iboats, I went with the AL frame instead of stainless. The best money I have spent on my boat hands down. I still use the original cover for my boat, which is over 15 years old. It doesn't bead water off as well my bimini, but it is better than nothing and stops a lot of water.

robert graham

Admiral
Thanks, I'll get the sunbrella. How fast can you go with top up with aluminum frame?

My boat will run around 40MPH and it seems pretty fast for the top up....my guess is much over 40MPH or so you might want to let the top down, especially to reduce the wind resistance/sail effect.....